sweet picked up 99 yz400

2 replies to this topic
  • brock1732

Posted February 24, 2005 - 07:43 PM

I just picked up a 99 yz400 and I have a few questions for you guys. I have read some posts of people having to change their timing chain and I asked the guy that sold me the bike and said you never have to replace those. Is this true? Also, the guy has the idle set pretty high because he rides in the woods and didn't want to stall, I tried moving the idle screw to turn it down, but it seems like the screw is stuck and will not move clockwise nor counterclockwise, whats up with this? Thanks guys, any other tips on the bike would be great. :) :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bushy

Posted February 25, 2005 - 05:41 AM

I just picked up a 99 yz400 and I have a few questions for you guys. I have read some posts of people having to change their timing chain and I asked the guy that sold me the bike and said you never have to replace those. Is this true? Also, the guy has the idle set pretty high because he rides in the woods and didn't want to stall, I tried moving the idle screw to turn it down, but it seems like the screw is stuck and will not move clockwise nor counterclockwise, whats up with this? Thanks guys, any other tips on the bike would be great. :) :p

He obviously doesnt have much mechanical experiance and these do need to be replaced. If it hasnt been replaced yet it is over its service limit and will go soon.

Read this:
http://www.thumperta...t=jumped timing

It really is a great bike for the money and will haul you around nicely. :)

If you ever need help with the bike you can PM me and I will help you personally.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted February 25, 2005 - 08:45 AM

And for the idle screw is needs to be lubed that is all. Mine does that too from time to time. It is a cable in a tube that runs under the carb and up the right hand side of the carb. It s gets gummed up from time to time.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.