Race Radio Helmet Kits

2 replies to this topic
  • stolidog

Posted February 24, 2005 - 05:07 PM

Anyone out there know of an alternate to the Baja Designs $185 helmet headset?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted February 24, 2005 - 06:03 PM

I'm looking for a complete rider to pit system for desert racing. Any ideas?

• Thorpey

Posted February 27, 2005 - 12:27 AM

I'm running a modified Motocomm sets. Rip out the mic and replace it with a M101 cartrage from an online avionics site. Prices vary, I got the my last two for $20.00 bucks each. Sometimes you can find them at surplus stores in o2 masks, gas masks and aircraft headsets. The problem with the electret that comes with the set is anything over about 96-98 db (read aftermarket exhaust) causes the mic to "flutter". When you transmit, it sounds like wind noise. I set up four rigs and put them it my buddies helmets (they are too cheap to buy their own) when we do long or difficult rides. They install with velcro and take about 5-10 min to put in. I use Home Depot cell phone belt cases for the radios (modified Icom v-8s) and ziptie them to their chest protectors. If your bike isn't real loud, or you only transmit when off the throttle, you can get by with the stock mic, just some "thumping" background noise. I think the Motocomm set is about 50-60 bucks online . Good luck!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.