The infamous grey wire

48 replies to this topic
  • Don123

Posted March 01, 2005 - 01:02 PM

Here's a stupid question:
What is the reason for disconnecting the grey wire? Is it a performance issue or what? It must be something pretty important, because I always see that this is a hot topic.
I have 04 WR450F should I do this and why?

• jdd123

Posted March 01, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Go back and read the post by Eric F on the second page of this thread.

• Don123

Posted March 01, 2005 - 03:16 PM

Yep, I saw that after I wrote the question. That's what I get for jumping the gun.
Thanks

• kurtdb1

Posted March 01, 2005 - 04:38 PM

Yep, I saw that after I wrote the question. That's what I get for jumping the gun.
Thanks

I still dont get the whole gray wire deal...the bike HAULS..and mine is stock except for YZ throttle stop...it flat out HAULS....I was riding a D37 Enduro and was on the same minute as my friend who is an expert riding a KTM 520EXC..and I left him...the last 5 miles were whats called free territory and the roll chart said "go-for-it" and I did...There were a ton of whoops and I still kicked that KTMs tail...I was riding soboba this last weekend and on a couple of major uphills the bike pulled and pulled and pulled...and when I thought it couldnt have any more...I gave it a little more throttle and it pulled even more....DID i say I only replaced the throttle stop...this is a CA model and has the STOCK PIPE!!!...In fact the above mentioned enduro...Paul Krause was on the minute behind me and I was able to hold him to the end by a few seconds even in the free territory...usually he would pass me and I would fall back from my minute. Sure my bike sounds like a sewing machine but this sewing machine rips....no gray wire mods and no airbox mods and no pipe mods and no air pump mods...did I mention how nice and quiet it is. :) by the way the muddy soboba ride was my 1st test of the newly aquired GYTR titatium foot pegs...AWESOME...foot didnt slip off once.

• jdd123

Posted March 01, 2005 - 04:58 PM

It will haul more, that's all. Also, at your elevation, you are not starved for air. When, I go from 5000ft to 9000ft, the air is thin and the bike looses 25% power just from the altitude, even with correct jetting. So, my bike needs all the airflow it can get. Were I go to a low elevation, I would have to rejet as the bike would be way to lean at sea level.

• kurtdb1

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:11 AM

It will haul more, that's all. Also, at your elevation, you are not starved for air. When, I go from 5000ft to 9000ft, the air is thin and the bike looses 25% power just from the altitude, even with correct jetting. So, my bike needs all the airflow it can get. Were I go to a low elevation, I would have to rejet as the bike would be way to lean at sea level.

true...i didnt take into consideration the "elevation" factor...I am not used to dealing with that.

• NewBlue

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:18 AM

The truth here is that very few of us (NEED) more out of the engine. We just like having more. I didn't need a professionally tuned suspension. I don't even race. I didn't need a Yoshi exhaust. I didn't need radiator guards. I didn't need frame guards. I didn't need Seal Savers. I didn't need to use Motul 300V. I didn't need to have the throttle stop screw swapped out. I didn't need the gray wire removed. I didn't need the air box lid removed. I didn't need an Uni filter. I don't need to keep my bike looking as if it has never been ridden. However; I do enjoy my toys. I take great pride in the things that I have, and I try to take care of them the best that I can. I like all the fast goodies. I don't need them, but I do enjoy them. Best Wishes

• ch0g

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:23 PM

hey all,

i have been away for a few months and this topic still exists :)

i did this after speaking to another guy that has done the same. when i bought my 04 wr450 in the race kit came all the stock swicthes etc to setup the bike without the key ignition. so i mounted the two-step ignition swicth up near my speedo, used a multimeter to find the two wires i needed out of the 4pin plug, removed the tank, removed then grey wire from the connector (both sides) and soldered them to the plug. heat shrank and tested.

works a treat! with the button pressed in, i have wr mapping which saves me fuel for those cruisy home rides, and when i think i need all i can get from the wr, i press the button and presto my wire is cut :p since the mapping changes instantaneously i have the option to go both ways.

beat that!

ch0g :)

• ncmountainman

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:48 PM

i'm pretty sure you have to kill the bike, switch it, and then restart for it to properly change. at least i read that somewhere :)

• thumper_dad

Posted March 02, 2005 - 02:03 PM

hey all,

i have been away for a few months and this topic still exists :)

i did this after speaking to another guy that has done the same. when i bought my 04 wr450 in the race kit came all the stock swicthes etc to setup the bike without the key ignition. so i mounted the two-step ignition swicth up near my speedo, used a multimeter to find the two wires i needed out of the 4pin plug, removed the tank, removed then grey wire from the connector (both sides) and soldered them to the plug. heat shrank and tested.

works a treat! with the button pressed in, i have wr mapping which saves me fuel for those cruisy home rides, and when i think i need all i can get from the wr, i press the button and presto my wire is cut :) since the mapping changes instantaneously i have the option to go both ways.

beat that!

ch0g :p

You have to kill the bike then restart it for the mapping to change, to tell you the truth I just went back and put my wire back in the harness because I felt it lost some torque on the bottom when I cut it.

Too each his own egh fellas.

Rich

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RADRick

Posted March 02, 2005 - 03:55 PM

i'm pretty sure you have to kill the bike, switch it, and then restart for it to properly change. at least i read that somewhere :)

Ding! We have a winner. The status of the gray wire is read at startup. The engine must be shut off by turning off the power switch and restarted for the change to be recognized.

• digsy

Posted March 03, 2005 - 03:47 AM

hey guys i'm new here just wondering what this grey wire is and what does it do? is it on a '99 wr400f?

• Dwood11

Posted March 17, 2005 - 02:20 PM

Yes what happens with the WR400f? We dont have that nifty little ignition button, so if we cut the wire, or put a 2 way switch on it, what impact will it have on the 99?

• jayled

Posted March 24, 2005 - 12:59 PM

Water can still enter the connector if you cut the wire.
Taping or adding a butt crimp terminal will not make it water tight.
In my last life I was involved in testing Packard and AMP connectors for automotive applications. Daimler Chrysler spec PF-9590.
Water will enter through the wire strands and into the sealed harness. One method was to superglue the cut end of the wire. The other was to make with wire long enough to bring outside the test chamber... Of course the second option does not apply here.
I just bought an 05 WR 450 this week!
I have been racing several Drz400e since 2000.
I can't wait to see what blue can do!

• Yamahondaha

Posted April 01, 2005 - 02:22 PM

so what does the grey wire do?

• Yamahondaha

Posted April 01, 2005 - 02:42 PM

Great! now that I kinda know what the grey wire is I find that there is also a blue wire...here we go again, what does the blue wire do?

• trickwarrior

Posted April 01, 2005 - 02:57 PM

He means Yamaha as in blue. Not wires :naughty:

• WheelsUp

Posted April 01, 2005 - 05:49 PM

so what does the grey wire do?

It remaps the timing to US WR specs. This means that above about 5000rpm it is retarded by 30 degrees.

Disconnecting it allows the CDI to operate the same as a YZ or non-US WR.

The blue wire is your neutral sensor switch.
Disconnecting the blue wire does a couple of things.

Ignition primary voltage isnormally cut in half when starting in neutral. Disconnecting the blue wire keep this level the same regardless of starting gear.
This may or may not make it easier to start. Personally, I can't tell the difference between starting in neutral and starting in gear.

Here's the negative... it is also your neutral safety switch. If you have a WR and disconnect the blue wire, you will not be able to use the starter unless you pull the clutch lever. No more quick starts on the stand when the clutch perch is not installed. You CAN get around this by permanently grounding the clutch lever safety wire, but this will allow you to (accidentally) crank the starter when in gear with the clutch lever NOT pulled in.

Personally, I'd leave the blue wire alone.

• xwraf

Posted May 27, 2005 - 08:35 AM

Hi.I m the happy oner of a wr450f 2004 .I have the europian model .Can u please tell me if the grey wire have effect to my bike? If you reply to me im gonna buy you 1 raki (local traditional boose of my village in Crete Greece)to all off u.Thanx

• jrod1

Posted May 27, 2005 - 02:15 PM

JDD, what did you use to drill out the rivets to remove the snorkel? A regular drill is to big.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.