low vs. high octane gas & effects

16 replies to this topic
  • drzridertony

Posted February 24, 2005 - 08:25 AM

Hey guys & gals,
I have an 03 400e. The manual states to run premium gas only and I think this has to do with the gasket thickness and compression etc. Can anyone tell me what the possible long term effects of running lower octane fuel would be? The reason I ask is, I know I have run at least two or three tanks of the lower octane pump gas(that I know of) thrue it and I'm curious what kind of damage it can/will cause. I sure would appreciate some input.

*** little story.***
Last weekend I had to go out of town. When I came home the wife heard the garage door open. She scoops up the little guy and opens the door to the house. I promptly get out of my truck, walk around to the other side and give my DRZ a hug and a kiss, told her I'm home and everything will be ok. then I turned around to the door slamming in my face. I couldn't stop laughing. I made it up to her, I took her out to dinner and she got over it!!!!

• miken

Posted February 24, 2005 - 08:42 AM

Lower octane in higher compression motor means the gas will ignite under compression prior to the spark plug igniting (pre-detonation). It adds wear to the parts etc. but I have never actually seen (or noticed) the damage. I'm sure Burned or others have. If you can't tell its pinging, maybe your o.k.
Mike -

• rockchucker22

Posted February 24, 2005 - 09:01 AM

Pump gas ratings are iffy at best I think there is not a lot of difference between 89 and 91 ( what we have here in CA) I only run 91 just to be safe, but I doubt a couple of tank will do anything. If it was all you run maybe it might cause premature wear of parts. Burned or Bronco or Noble will know while I am more or less speculating.

• MIDNIGHT

Posted February 24, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Well does running higher octane effect it?

I've always run BP (Amoco) 89 octane in my bike and was wondering how come the DRZ engines exhaust smells so much different than any other four stroke motor. My exhaust just has a different smell and has since it was bought new in 2002. :)

Edit: maybe it's just me :)

• rockchucker22

Posted February 24, 2005 - 09:16 AM

Well does running higher octane effec it? :

Yes but the question is is there really a octane difference at the pump, with race gas definitely but at the station I'm not so sure.

• jha07

Posted February 24, 2005 - 09:45 AM

Hey guys & gals,
I have an 03 400e. The manual states to run premium gas only and I think this has to do with the gasket thickness and compression etc. Can anyone tell me what the possible long term effects of running lower octane fuel would be? The reason I ask is, I know I have run at least two or three tanks of the lower octane pump gas(that I know of) thrue it and I'm curious what kind of damage it can/will cause. I sure would appreciate some input.

I think it depends on how you ride your bike. Running low octane in a high compression engine will cause it to knock under heavy load. But if you don't put the engine under heavy load, it shouldn't be knocking, and IMO shouldn't have caused any damage.

• Spud786

Posted February 24, 2005 - 10:38 AM

((Yes but the question is is there really a octane difference at the pump, with race gas definitely but at the station I'm not so sure.))

PUMP fuel octane I find most evident with small 4 cyclinder car engines. Normally you can get these type engines to really clatter under heavy load with mimimum grade octane. The higher octane from my experience will rid.

• MIDNIGHT

Posted February 24, 2005 - 10:44 AM

Yes but the question is is there really a octane difference at the pump, with race gas definitely but at the station I'm not so sure.

The reason I asked is b/c its easy to get around here. Theres a chain of gas stations around here called Pumpers and they sell 110. It says its leaded and not to pump it into daily drivers (only gas cans), but people do it anyway. Kinda pricy though

Its funny, all the Mustangs run around town swearing their car runs 2 seconds quicker with this stuff :) wrong!!!!!

• rockchucker22

Posted February 24, 2005 - 11:33 AM

110 is too high unless you have high compression.

• ekaphoto

Posted February 24, 2005 - 01:18 PM

One or two tanks wont hurt it, but if you run you bike long time with pinging due to low octain it CAN, not will put a hole on the top of your piston.

• anathema

Posted February 24, 2005 - 01:37 PM

The reason I asked is b/c its easy to get around here. Theres a chain of gas stations around here called Pumpers and they sell 110. It says its leaded and not to pump it into daily drivers (only gas cans), but people do it anyway. Kinda pricy though

Its funny, all the Mustangs run around town swearing their car runs 2 seconds quicker with this stuff :) wrong!!!!!

Maybe some day people will learn that power has nothing to do wiht octane, it comes from compression and octane only allows this higher compression.

Ive heard friends talk about how their car 'feels' much nicer on higher octane, better gas milage, more power..ugh.

One day..

• jha07

Posted February 24, 2005 - 01:51 PM

Maybe some day people will learn that power has nothing to do wiht octane, it comes from compression and octane only allows this higher compression.

Ive heard friends talk about how their car 'feels' much nicer on higher octane, better gas milage, more power..ugh.

One day..

You are more optimistic than I. I feel that day will never come.

• DRZer

Posted February 24, 2005 - 02:49 PM

I only go to gas stations that have a pump for each of the octane ratings. I've read about how one pump stations get like an average of 89. Some people buy premium and the next guy buys regular he got a hose full of premium. But with morotcycles it makes a bigger difference because we don't pump that much. A lot of the chevrons don't and their more expensive usually. I personally like 76 because they seem to always have 3 pumps and fairly cheap prices.

• MIGHTYMOUS327

Posted March 25, 2005 - 09:09 PM

higher octane is a waste of money if you don't need it and it will probably carbon up the motor quicker because it burns slower. not good in my opinion. i run the lowest possible in all my vehicles. of course, none of them are high compression.

• prairiedawg

Posted March 25, 2005 - 09:20 PM

I've always ran at least 91 octane in mine. Now that I have a 440SM too which does require race gas I put a cup in the E when time I fill it up too. I mix my race gas with premium unleaded for the SM as burned told me to do. No sign of pinging just lots of wheelies. The front tire on it may last forever it seldom is on the ground. hahaha! prairiedawg :) :)

• Fré

Posted March 26, 2005 - 01:32 AM

I have heard that an excessively high octane rating can burn your exhaust valves due to way too slow burning. :)
Makes sense to me :)

• FloridaGator

Posted March 26, 2005 - 09:47 AM

The only advantage of the higher octane levels in the lower compression motors is that most of the oil companies put more of the cleaner additives in the high grade fuels. other than that your wasting you money

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Who Has The Lightest DRZ400E and How Did You Achieve It? by Positron007

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

• Hot  65 replies
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.