9 replies to this topic
  • racer8

Posted February 24, 2005 - 07:59 AM

Looking at quality.
Ty Davis
Moose
OEM Yamaha
GYTR
Are there ones manufactured better then other? :)
Heard some have a stronger magnet and some are aluminum.
Thx.

• mnm567

Posted February 24, 2005 - 08:23 AM

I just bought the GYT-r drain plug. It is aluminum and has a good strong magnet. The way I see it, it's better than the stock plug with no magnet. I paid $16 for it. Matt

• del_scorcho

Posted February 24, 2005 - 10:20 AM

I have the ZipTy and it works great. It's aluminum and I think I paid around $15 for it.

• BigDesto

Posted February 24, 2005 - 10:54 AM

Zipty! :)

• thelimeyone

Posted February 24, 2005 - 03:14 PM

i take a stock yamaha plug, drill them out and epoxy in a NdFeb magnet, better than you can buy, stock quality. yours for $8, plus ship. i have sold about 30 of them, and i only have one left.
reply to thelimeyone@juno.com as i dont check private messages often enough

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brandon Meidam

Posted February 24, 2005 - 05:01 PM

Zipty is the way to go!

• crayztwentyseven

Posted February 25, 2005 - 10:12 PM

Zipty!! :) That magnet is strong!!!!!!!!GGRRRRRR! :) :D :p :D

• 5valve

Posted February 26, 2005 - 01:24 AM

where do you get those magnets (shiping to europe...rather make my own

thinking on installing the magnet from bicycle computer

• qadsan

Posted February 26, 2005 - 08:21 AM

where do you get those magnets (shiping to europe...rather make my own

thinking on installing the magnet from bicycle computer

What you do is get a neodymium magnet in the shape of a cylinder such as pictured in the link below (they're very powerful magnets). You can find them cheaper elsewhere, but this is just an example of what the cylinder shape looks like. Also make sure you get the proper 'N' grade because the standard N38 grade commonly found has a low maximum operating temperature and it will demagnatize at lower temperatures than a N38SH. Look up magnet suppliers in your phone book and ask them if they carry neodymium cylinder shaped magnets and you may find a supplier in your neighborhood. I simply drill my drain plugs slightly smaller than the size of the magnet, then place epoxy in the hole and press the magnet in. http://www.kjmagneti...ucts.asp?cat=13

The ZipTy magnetic drain plug is a very option for people who don't want to make their own.

• 5valve

Posted February 26, 2005 - 09:53 AM

that should be no problem since I like my own upgrades to the bike :)
also finding the right magnet should be no problem, but I dont quite understand that low maximum oprating temp...that means that if too much heat, tha magnetic properties are gone and metal particles get loose again
do you know what temp does your magnet support
anoter Q, how deep do you drill and hol much does yur magnet stick out of the plug

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.