Best "all-around" tires...?

41 replies to this topic
  • dirtstiff

Posted February 25, 2005 - 08:05 AM

I have had the best performance and wear for the money on my WR-450 from Maxxis' IT. :)

• ncmountainman

Posted February 25, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Whats wrong with the pierellis ?

Yes I have several bikes.

I have never mounted the s12 or m12 on my WR but tried my buddies and I was amazzed how well they hooked up . So I was going to get some in the spring.

I have been using the Kenda trackmaster on the rear becouse it's dot ,and a
Dunlop 756 on the front with "not" in not for highway use dremeled off.
The Kenda up front was useless. Although the Kenda rear wasn't bad "for a DOT tire" I'm going to change to offroad only tires only and plead stupid if caught.

So with your great wizdom please explain how the pierelli's are not a good choice. :)

unless i'm the idiot here(which happens more often than i like!) the s12 and m12's are michelins :)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted February 25, 2005 - 10:26 AM

I have loved the Dunlop 752 rear for years. But seeing as they are discontinued I know am using a Maxxis IT and like it. It is a lot heavier than the Dunlop but seems to wear very well. I do have one new D752 still on the wall in waiting. I almost dont want to mount it up though. Its too pretty to kill.

I just ordered the Kenda Trackmasters for my CRFX. I hear good things about them for how cheep ($) they are.

• Sylvain

Posted February 25, 2005 - 01:27 PM

Michelin s12 front and m12 rear + heavy duty tubes. Lots of traction and front sticks well. I ride track and trails. The only real issue with a s12 on the front is when it started to chunk the front knobs while practicing nose wheelies on a hard pack dry clay surface :) .

I heard a lot of goods for the kenda trackmaster for the rear. It will be my next choice :)

It would be nice to make a poll topic to see what is the most popular brand for front and rear tire.

Thanks

• 99wr400

Posted February 26, 2005 - 11:58 AM

The Teraflex may feel like its robbing horsepower, but Its coming out in the form of traction. You need to try one to understand the level of durability and traction that the TeraFlex offers ( the extra weight of the TeraFlex only makes the bike more stable). The M5B is HORRIBLE in rocks, I had one and took it off after 2 rides, because it didn't hook up half as good as my bald tire that it replaced. If you ride in mud, then maybe a backwards M5B would work, but they aren't worth half their price for the level of performance on rocks/hardpack.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 26, 2005 - 07:25 PM

Ya, good point. Dont buy a tire made for soft terrain/mud and expect it to hold up on hardpack and rocks. Just not what it is made for. :)

• ncmountainman

Posted February 27, 2005 - 05:41 AM

Ya, good point. Dont buy a tire made for soft terrain/mud and expect it to hold up on hardpack and rocks. Just not what it is made for. :)

the maxcross SI i'm using on the front is a soft-intermediate and rocks don't seem to phase it. its the same compound and carcass as the IT just a mud friendy pattern. i can't wait to get my hands on the rear SI,if its anything like the front it should be the perfect eastern woods tire. :)

• woodsk

Posted February 27, 2005 - 06:41 AM

I've been running Kenda Trackmaster rear and Perelli MT44 front on my 400, and the trackmaster if fantastic! Hooks up great in the soft stuff, self evacuating in the mud, stays stable on hard pack, and holds up to the Northeast rock gardens we call trails.

I just mounted the trackmaster on my new 450 (no rides on it yet, I don't like the snow) to replace teh stock 739 that after 2 rides looked nearly used up, and is proably the worst mud tire ever made. I did not go with the MT44 for the front, instead I went with the Kenda Millville. I'll be mounting it this week so as soon as the snow goes away I'll know how the combo works

• Bamster

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:34 AM

Nope I'm the idiot here.
Yes I crossed my wires.
Do I feel stupid.
I had mixed up what my buddy had switched from.
It is michelins that he is running now but had tried The Mt's befor that.

Hey it's been a long winter.

Would I have ever looked dumb when I go into order my new tires this spring.
Thanks for setting me straight.
DOH!

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 27, 2005 - 10:44 PM

NC, that is good to know. I am already thinking I will need a new rear tire for summer mountain riding and I am not sure what I want. The M5B seems great for the soft bentinite(sp) we are running here close to town, but I am sure I will chunk the hell out of it up in the rock covered mountains thanks to some of the advice here. So much to learn---so little time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 99wr400

Posted March 06, 2005 - 06:02 PM

Save yourself some time and money, and get a TeraFlex. My TeraFlex has about 3 rides on it and numerous burnouts, and hasnt worn down more than about 3 milimeters. The Teraflex is expensive, but will outlast any other tire, and hooks up great on every type of terrain. Hillclimbers uuse the TeraFlex, that out to tell you something about it's level of traction. I burned through my M5B in 3 rides... and it didn't chunk either, although I ride on a mix of loam and rocks.

• huskyrider

Posted March 06, 2005 - 07:42 PM

stock 739 that after 2 rides looked nearly used up,

Where did you ride?

I actually find that really hard to believe, 739's have always been fair all around tires that wear quite well. Maybe thats because we don't have any rocks to speak of. I've used them in SE Texas for my street legal WR and have put some, but not many, street miles on them connecting trails.
IMO, they've held up well.

See Ya,
Kelly

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 06, 2005 - 08:42 PM

I rode a really soft track today, nothing but loose stuff. I am not an MXer at all and I dont ride real hard by comparrison. I can tell you the M5B was sweet. I was hooking up as well as anyone, it was awesome. I have three or four trail rides and todays track ride on it and it shows no sign of wear but I have been in soft stuff for all the rides. I am still trying to decide on a summer mountain tire and will keep reading what everyone has to say. Thanks fellas.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 07, 2005 - 05:01 AM

I like the new Maxxis SI front and I still prefer the Tera-Flex over any other rear tire for roots, rocks, mud etc. :) It has only one weakness. It robs you of power ( acceleration) because it weighs 20 lbs. That makes it not as fun in sand and great traction conditions. :)

• xteamrider

Posted March 07, 2005 - 01:38 PM

I'd go for a Maxxis. I've gone through two rear Dunlops (since my dealer was out of Maxxis when I needed one) since my buddy put his Maxxis IT on and we changed rears about the same time. He's actually been riding more lately than me. It could be cause my WR rips over his CRF though. :)

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 07, 2005 - 09:57 PM

I still prefer the Tera-Flex over any other rear tire for roots, rocks, mud etc.

Thanks Indy, any special model number or is there only one? What would your non-power robbing second choice be? How much do most rear tires weigh? Seems that alot of guys are loving the Maxxis. What are your thoughts on that one. Thanks again.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 08, 2005 - 04:10 AM

You want to buy the 140/80-18 model it is different than the narrower tire version.

Posted Image

Not everyone sells them. You can buy the 140/80-18 from here:

http://www.onoffroad...ory_Code=chenmx

• ncmountainman

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:03 AM

Thanks Indy, any special model number or is there only one? What would your non-power robbing second choice be? How much do most rear tires weigh? Seems that alot of guys are loving the Maxxis. What are your thoughts on that one. Thanks again.

the new maxxcross SI 120/100-18 is available now,i just ordered one yesterday. they look tough :)

• Jackazz

Posted March 08, 2005 - 08:05 AM

the new maxxcross SI 120/100-18 is available now,i just ordered one yesterday. they look tough :)

Who from?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 08, 2005 - 08:09 AM

the TT store,rocky mountain also has them in stock

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.