Best 04' 450 Rear Tire "value"?

13 replies to this topic
  • Jetsprint2

Posted February 23, 2005 - 02:00 PM

I am looking at getting a new rear tire and want input. What is the best all around, long lasting tire out there. So far I hear the Maxxis IT is very good and that the Kenda Carlsband is a nice pick. Is it just me or did seem like my dunlop 739 wore really fast? I ride 10% MX and 90% desert trails. Any input would be appreciated.

• sldietz

Posted February 23, 2005 - 03:53 PM

Im running the Maxxis right now and it works great. They are supposed to last long and the price is right.

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2005 - 04:00 PM

The Maxxis IT does last a lot longer than a 756, I can tell you for certain. As a bonus, it bites better in most soils, too. Kenda is a cheap tire, but not a good value.

• fatnugget

Posted February 23, 2005 - 04:22 PM

I hated the 739 it seemed to wear OK, definitely better than the 756 I have on now but it was so skittish all of the time I felt like I was on the verge of crashing all of the time. My next tire will be a Maxxis IT just to try one out.

• Dirtmizer

Posted February 23, 2005 - 04:23 PM

I ride some sand, hardpack, and street with the Maxxis, so far so good. Wearing like iron.

• mikedabike

Posted February 23, 2005 - 04:27 PM

739 sucks

756 best traction

Maxxis traction almost as good as 756 with twice the life

• ncmountainman

Posted February 23, 2005 - 04:57 PM

they make 2 kinds of IT get the "desert IT"(its got a tougher carcass) i used the reg IT in the eastern woods,it was good t'ill it got muddy(i went to a trelleborg tenmaster,which is one of the best all'round rear tire ever) . as long as your not in mud often go with the IT :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 9-d-9

Posted February 24, 2005 - 02:36 AM

I've ran the Kenda Carlsbad and Maxxis IT on my 450. Both tires hold up better than the Dunlop 739AT for desert riding. Next time you're at the shop getting a tire, look at the tread pattern between the 739 and Maxxis IT - they look very similiar.

• mnm567

Posted February 24, 2005 - 08:34 AM

Dunlop is coming out with a new tire. It is the D952 and supposedly is a value priced off-road tire that handles a wide variety of terrain and conditions. It is also constructed for longer wear and traction. The tread pattern is based on the D752, but is more durable. Taken from Motocross Action. Matt

• rmracer27

Posted February 25, 2005 - 06:04 AM

I have run the kenda carlsbad and it wore great on my 2 stroke. After 2 rides the factory tire on yzf is wore out already and its a Dunlop.

• yz_for_me

Posted February 25, 2005 - 07:05 AM

I'll second the Maxis IT. I've been running it for a while now. Works great in a variaty of conditions and lasts forever. Only downside is its weight. For some people this is a big issue. I haven't found it to be a problem. :)

• ncmountainman

Posted February 25, 2005 - 07:08 AM

i don't think the weights too much an issue t'ill you get into sumthin like the terraflex(19lbs!!!) the reg IT weighs just under 12 i don't know about the desert? :)

• YZ426Tony

Posted February 25, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Have you guys ever used the Michelin S12, it is a great tire but soft compound, only lasts a short while.

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:16 PM

I'm Not A Big Fan Of Maxxis Or Dunlop. I Have Been Using Michelin With Great Results.
High Compression

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.