AIS revelation

4 replies to this topic
  • CharlesFP

Posted February 23, 2005 - 01:36 PM

I've done the free mods, and jetting. I just installed a Muzzy's system, and the popping is much louder, more pronounced and much more annoying than it was before. I realize that this popping was there before, only the exhaust system makes it more obvious now. I heard that the popping is due mostly to the AIS system. To test this, I ran the bike in nuetral while squeezing the larger rubber hose of the AIS shut with needle nose plyers. NO POPPING WHATSOVER!!! I released the plyers, allowing the AIS to resume running, and the popping came back full force. I am astonished that I literally could not induce even the slightest pop with the hose pinched even while revving like crazy. Perhaps many of us don't need to worry about our pilot jets or fuels screws as the incessant back firing could literally be cured with nothing more than a zip- tie. I have already ordered the Lowedog kit (thanks Lowedog), but I am beginning to think that simple corking or plugging the main hose might be the answer, as it is a less permanant solution, and keeps the bike's original equipment intact.
Has anyone gone this route? Could it have any negative consequences?

• trailriderjoe

Posted February 23, 2005 - 01:52 PM

Since I had no need to remove my AIS (IE bigger tank), I just made a brass plug (very similar to Lowedogs) and put it in the end of the large black hose. Took care of the problem without having to remove the plumbing. I look at it as six to one half a dozen to the other. They both do the same, Lowedogs is just cleaner looking.

I still pulled the valve and rubber plugged both the airbox line and the intake runner line.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snmhanson

Posted February 23, 2005 - 06:26 PM

I have already ordered the Lowedog kit (thanks Lowedog), but I am beginning to think that simple corking or plugging the main hose might be the answer, as it is a less permanant solution, and keeps the bike's original equipment intact.
Has anyone gone this route? Could it have any negative consequences?

I'd still do the Lowedog kit. If nothing else it gives a very clean nice looking presentation. Get that AIS off your bike and you get better access to the rear shock and other important parts. Plus, you don't need to take it off everytime you want to rejet. The only reason not to use the Lowedog kit is if you would someday want to put the AIS system back on :) . Just my opinion after doing the Lowedog kit myself.

Matt

• SANG

Posted February 24, 2005 - 11:31 AM

Good Info Guys But Where Do I Get More Info On This Lowedog Kit?

• jdd123

Posted February 24, 2005 - 12:58 PM

I found the same. I used vacuum caps and the existing clamps to plug off all the connections for now. Lowedog's kit is availabel by PM'ing him. The kit will allow you to get rid of that ugly pipe coming from the exhaust.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.