Ok for trail riding?

10 replies to this topic
  • NateZ

Posted February 23, 2005 - 08:43 AM

The yz400 is the other bike im looking at buying, but i heard it's not the best for easy/mild trail riding? Is this true? I can't find any WR's in this area at all.

• tammie

Posted February 23, 2005 - 09:34 AM

Hi I race my 99 yz 400 in enduros and harescrambles and 90% of my riding is woods riding.........
as stock the yz400 isn't the best in trails.......but here's what I did to mine and its an amzing woods bike....

installed a WR lighting coil, WR headlight, enduro tail with light
WR flywheel
Devol Radiator Guards
hand guards
Race tech front fork springs softer than yz stock
swapped out rear spring for WR rear spring
very thick and wide Flatland racing skid plate
Trail tech odometer/speedometer
Trail tech kickstand
also ive added a WR gas tank and seat......
and lastly ive got a 13 tooth front sprocket and 52 tooth rear....

with all this is the perfect woods bike......never stalls, very agile......

I also run engine ice in the coolant to keep temp down in tight woods on HOT days.........howver i never overheated on casual riding, overheated only about 2-3 times in races but those were in sticky situations.....

im gonna look into making somet type of coolant overflow so I don't lose coolant IF it overheats.......the WR's have coolant overflow tanks in teh rear, the yz's don't........

• ncmountainman

Posted February 23, 2005 - 09:36 AM

seems to me that a bike with a strong hit (like the yzf) would be beneficial to riding in florida(all the sand ) that bike is a 5 spd so thats not a issue. your more than likely gonna have to change the susp to suit you no matter what you buy. i ride in sand on occasion and it seems like stiffer valving works better for me in those conditions(i always have to stiffen the compression ,and lighten the rebound) i have no idea if thats politically correct but it works for me! so the stock yz valving would work. :) what was your other choice? oh and if your worried about the catch tank,try running evans NPG-R coolant. you can't make it boil out.

• NateZ

Posted February 23, 2005 - 10:06 AM

Other choice was a CRF450. Seems like im gonna have to add a bunch of stuff to be trail ready? It's not going to be a serious trail bike, just one that i can use it on trails for.

• tammie

Posted February 23, 2005 - 10:07 AM

hey mountain man, where can i get this coolant, Ive never hearf of it...........do you have to order it special from a bike store?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tammie

Posted February 23, 2005 - 10:17 AM

nevermind just read up on the internet about NPG-R im gonna order a gallon and see how it works...

• 642MX

Posted February 23, 2005 - 12:36 PM

I hate to sound like a salesman for Rekluse, but big bore YZF's are alot easier to manuever in the woods with an auto clutch.

• NateZ

Posted February 23, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Seems like all you guys mod your bikes to go trail riding, can't i just get the bike and ride? I'm not going to be doing hardcore trail riding, and here in florida i can't imagine the trails being extremly tough altho i am sure there are some... All i really was planning on doing was putting a kickstand on the bike, lol.

• Jetsprint2

Posted February 23, 2005 - 02:05 PM

Oh, what the heck go out and buy a new 450! :)

• buck_y_lee

Posted February 23, 2005 - 03:25 PM

Nate, I ride a stock yz426 on trails and it is fine. No, wait, it's excellent.

I'm just a weekender like you seem to be. Maybe I could go taller on the gearing for those long fire trails where I'm cruising in top gear, but that's about the only thing I can think of that might need tweaking.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 23, 2005 - 05:35 PM

I rode my YZ in the woods bone stock with no complaints. Mine is only modded to make it better in the woods and to make it legal (sparky). On steep climbs you may find the stock gearing to be too high.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.