Please advise on handlebar choice

12 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted February 22, 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hi all; I'm trying to figure out what is the easiest way to get handlebars on my '04 WR450. Ideally, I'd like to get a decent handlebar for a reasonable expense right now, then later on put a steering damper on it.

Can I now do a decent handlebar w/ an adapter (without buying a triple clamp) and later get a steering stablilizer for the same combination? I'd like to avoid buying things more than once.

Also; what handlebars do you guys recommend? I'm 5'8" on the bike, so I'm not sure whether or not taller bars would be good. I've seen the protaper Doug Henry bend and the CR bend recommended; what is the difference?

Thanks for all your help!

• 99wr400

Posted February 22, 2005 - 03:44 PM

I like ProTaper CR-high bars, You can probably have a damper with the bars and bar adaptors, but I haven't tryed it.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 22, 2005 - 03:55 PM

I like ProTaper CR-high bars, You can probably have a damper with the bars and bar adaptors, but I haven't tryed it.

Dittos on the CR bars. I removed my OE WR bars, too low (I'm 6'0") and now my back doesnt ache. It seemed I was hunched over all the time. As for stabilizers, now sure, never owned one. Indy? :) :)

• Domenic_WRF

Posted February 22, 2005 - 04:25 PM

Scotts can make a mount for any bar..riser you choose. I'm 6'2" and use pro-taper hawkins wood high bend w/scotts triple clamp. Pick the bar you want and add the damper later.. :) But it will cost about $150 more than buying the whole kit from Scotts if you choose to use a new triple clamp.. :)

Scotts triple clamp and damper mount

• kincade

Posted February 22, 2005 - 05:31 PM

Scotts can make a mount for any bar..riser you choose. I'm 6'2" and use pro-taper hawkins wood high bend w/scotts triple clamp. Pick the bar you want and add the damper later.. :) But it will cost about $150 more than buying the whole kit from Scotts if you choose to use a new triple clamp.. :)

Scotts triple clamp and damper mount

So you're saying that if I buy the bars and mounts now, I'm basically wasting my money? I'm a little new to this; can you explain?

For those of you with the CR high bars, would they be too high for a shorter guy (5'8")?

• Domenic_WRF

Posted February 22, 2005 - 06:37 PM

So you're saying that if I buy the bars and mounts now, I'm basically wasting my money? I'm a little new to this; can you explain?

For those of you with the CR high bars, would they be too high for a shorter guy (5'8")?

No, I didn't mean to imply your wasting your money :) If you ever decide to replace the triple clamp with a scotts, buying the whole kit would be the most cost effective :) You can use any brand of triple clamp or riser-adapters and buy a mount kit for the damper at a later date. :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigDavey

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:18 PM

I put a set of Renthal Twinwalls with the CR High bend and I really like the feel. They might be a problem with the stabalizer but I personally wouldn't change.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 22, 2005 - 10:16 PM

I bought Pro Tapers CR bend. They are great. I helped BigDavey put the Renthals on his ride, and they are awesome too. The Pro Tapers are cheaper and dont have a cross bar, and the Renthals are alittle more and do have a cross bar. They both feel great, and the guys at the shop said both are tough as hell. Although they said the Renthals were tougher in their opinion. I think the Renthals look better than my Pro Tapers. Both are a good choice. Good Luck.

• kincade

Posted February 23, 2005 - 08:52 AM

No, I didn't mean to imply your wasting your money :) If you ever decide to replace the triple clamp with a scotts, buying the whole kit would be the most cost effective :) You can use any brand of triple clamp or riser-adapters and buy a mount kit for the damper at a later date. :p

I was just wondering how it added up if you bought it later? As in, how does it save money to buy it all from scotts?

Thanks to all of you for the advise so far. On the Renthals; is it necessary to have a crossbar? Or is it there just to strengthen the bars?

• Jackazz

Posted February 23, 2005 - 09:43 AM

You could always do WER steering damper, they mount with a plate between the front frnder & the bottom of the lower tripple. Bar, bar mounts, & top tripple have no bearing on it's mounting. TT member MTRABlue has one on his '03 WR, I'm sure he'd be happy to awnser any Q's you have on it. :)

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 23, 2005 - 09:26 PM

On the Renthals; is it necessary to have a crossbar? Or is it there just to strengthen the bars?

The guys at the shop told us that we had to leave the crossbar on the Renthal Twinwalls, it didnt look like it would come off to easy.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted February 24, 2005 - 05:43 AM

I'm only about 5'9", and I run the tallest Reikon 'bars in their 'fatbar' range. I find, like others have mentioned, that low rise 'bars make me seem like i'm stooped over all the time. I have a Tag top clamp which also is about 5mm higher than stock, and has adjustable 'bar position settings (back and forward locations). Money VERY well spent IMO. :)

• Ivan450

Posted February 24, 2005 - 11:41 AM

I'm 6' and use the RC bend Renthal Fatbars with the 20mm spacer/adapter. The RC bend has less sweep than the CR bend which suits me a bit better. If your real tall, the RC high bend or Jimmy button in the Renthals would be great. Pro Tapers Windham or Pastrana FMX( maybe a bit narrow ) bars are high as well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.