Trail tech computer?

22 replies to this topic
  • doctorchopper

Posted February 22, 2005 - 10:45 AM

Has anyone bought a trail tech computer? Whats it like? I'm planning on buying one, mainly for the speedo function, I have a 01 wr426 with a road kit on and my speedo packed it self in and a new one was gonna cost more than the trail tech system. Any advice

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 22, 2005 - 10:50 AM

Many TT members like them and have them. They are fragile and should be kept dry. They pop off easily for washing or if there is real nasty rain coming down. :)

• Hurricane

Posted February 22, 2005 - 10:52 AM

I've had one for about a year now, I really like it. It works pretty good, seems to be pretty accurate. It would be a good idea to get a billet dashboard, my freind broke mine off once. He bought me a new bracket and then I got the dashboard.

• doctorchopper

Posted February 22, 2005 - 10:54 AM

Is there anyway of making them more water resistant, I'm living in Ireland now and it seems to do nothing but rain here. I shouldn't say that, it snowed yesterday. :) Coming from northern british columbia, canada i'm used to it.

• Hurricane

Posted February 22, 2005 - 10:55 AM

I agree with Indy about being fragile but I haven't had any problems with water. I've ridden in down pours a couple of times and I've hit mine with the power sprayer a few times.

• Jackazz

Posted February 22, 2005 - 10:57 AM

FWIW, i ordered one for my '04 yesterday. When I talked to them, I asked about the difference between the 2005 (#300-20) & 1998-2004 (#200-20) models & they said that the wire lead for the pickup is about 10" shorter on the '05 because of the direct route or "CR style" line routing. I mention this only because I'm switching over to CR style routing, so I got the '05 kit instead.

• moach1

Posted February 22, 2005 - 01:56 PM

they work great. i rode with my gps to see how accurate it was and it was dead on to the tenth. i highly recommend it.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 22, 2005 - 01:56 PM

One word of advice on installing the trail tech sensors. The instructions are wrong. You need to install the sensor 1/2" further from the axle on the brake caliper mount to avoid funky and double reads from the magent. :)

• cyclemichael

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:06 PM

I just installed a Trail Tech on my CRF 450 05. How do you know if it is double hitting?

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:10 PM

Improper sensor mount will give you erratic speed readings at steady speed and incorrect overall mileage and top speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:14 PM

I just installed a Trail Tech on my CRF 450 05. How do you know if it is double hitting?

Double hit usually means double speed. You'll know it when its way off

• wcrhillbilly

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:18 PM

yes i like the trail tech
its great what i like about it you can buy a second mount for anohter bike aka like your kids and program there tire size in there aswell and switch to his or her bike or yours lets you know how your kids are doing aswell as yourself

• Jackazz

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:20 PM

One word of advice on installing the trail tech sensors. The instructions are wrong. You need to install the sensor 1/2" further from the axle on the brake caliper mount to avoid funky and double reads from the magent. :)

Do you know what the measurement they were giving was? I'll be getting the "new" '05 one this week, & am curious if they've changed their instructions to account for the problem.

• wcrhillbilly

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:21 PM

ok im having problems with mine aswell what setting should i have mine at i have a 2000 wr400f

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:46 PM

Ive read that the Panoram is identical to the Trail Tech and a bit cheaper to. Found some on ebay for $30

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:11 PM

Well they're not quite identical. The old Trailtech was the straight Panoram. It was replaced a couple of years ago with the Trailtech Panoram Endurance which allows incremental mileage resets as well as enhanced durability. If you ride dual sport events or enduros the increment reset function is almost a necessity. Also with the bicycle version you do not get the pickup and harness that are designed for MC use though it can still be made to work. I have one of each (Panoram and Endurance). The older Panoram unit has had a few problems along the way but the Endurance has been solid so far.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 23, 2005 - 05:22 AM

Do you know what the measurement they were giving was? I'll be getting the "new" '05 one this week, & am curious if they've changed their instructions to account for the problem.

When you get the instructions you will see a hand sketched picture of the sensor and magnet bolt position. You want to move the sensor so that the tip of the sensor picks up the magnet! This results in moving the sensor a half inch futher away from axle to get the uiti to work accurately. I have advised many TT members on this and it does work for all of them as well. :)

• tammie

Posted February 23, 2005 - 09:43 AM

i have had 2 both have messed up.......i take them off for washings even.....maybe its just bad luck???

they seem to be very fragile ..........

is there any other speedo i can use on my bike less sensitive to teh eliments?? i know there is the ICO or watchdog but those are so expensive isn't there anything other than trail tech.........im putting a WR odometer on my YZ but i still need speedo function for enduros......

any suggestions, i wil not buy another trail tech compter....

• bottomfeeder2

Posted February 23, 2005 - 05:55 PM

ok im having problems with mine aswell what setting should i have mine at i have a 2000 wr400f

Have you tried marking your tire and measuring the distance of one revolution? If you don't trust your measurements, you can go a longer distance (> one revolution) and divide by the number of revolutions. That way the slop that you have at either end won't have as great an impact on your result.

• JVP

Posted February 23, 2005 - 06:49 PM

I also have the Trailtech Panoram Endurance computer or should I say this is my third one. The first one did not work out of the box and the company replaced it. The second one lasted about six months of hard riding but it too went sneakers up :) I found a small crack in it even though I have the protector for it. The third one is working good for now and it has been about a year. I am very careful not to get it wet when I clean the bike. I have been told it does not handle cleaning agents very well, especially Simple Green. On the up side I do like it for what it does do. I keep track of my riding pace and service intervals. I just wish they would be a little beefier. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.