I rode an 04 yesterday

28 replies to this topic
  • ZEKEDAWG

Posted February 25, 2005 - 12:52 PM

So ,dan does your 300 mxc get no love now? Which bike do you ride more? Which bike has more power the 300 or the 450? I was in love with my wr 400 until I realize the short comings, or at least realized what I really want( for the time being) I wan't all that impress with the 04 power wise over my 99 with same mods. The 04 was lighter and slimer feeling but not much the 99 had more bottom end, the 04 took a minute to get the revs up. I am on a 300 exc no and so far I like it. I dream of a 525 e or m xc in the future but these 2 strokes are just so quick in the woods, which is wher i am 90% of the time.

• elton

Posted February 26, 2005 - 10:50 AM

So ,dan does your 300 mxc get no love now? Which bike do you ride more? Which bike has more power the 300 or the 450? I was in love with my wr 400 until I realize the short comings, or at least realized what I really want( for the time being) I wan't all that impress with the 04 power wise over my 99 with same mods. The 04 was lighter and slimer feeling but not much the 99 had more bottom end, the 04 took a minute to get the revs up. I am on a 300 exc no and so far I like it. I dream of a 525 e or m xc in the future but these 2 strokes are just so quick in the woods, which is wher i am 90% of the time.

Dan and ZEKDAWG,

Speaking of WR's and KTM 300 Exc/Mxc (since you guys know both), is there anything you can do to the 300 Exc's suspension to make it more like the WR?

The 300 Exc wears me out with its always-on power (holding on, maintaining throttle-control), but it also beats he sh...t out of me at high speeds vs. the WR -- combine the two issues and its a struggle.

The WR can take bumps, hit holes, large rocks and not flinch -- the 300 Exc has nearly bucked me off several times.

I've read complaints about the KTM suspension vs. the WR -- is this adjustable, will it get better after break-in, or just a fact of life with KTM vs. WR suspension? (Note: the KTM dealer set the sag, the WR is out of the box).

Dan, speaking of wheelies: IMO, the WR does smoother long wheelies, lifting the front smooth and controllable, while the 300 Exc whips the front wheel up very quickly and has had me staring at the sky vertical a few times I touched the throttle a fraction too much -- you agree/disagree?

ZEKDAWG, you say you want a 525; really? I must say that while I love the 300 Exc, the KTM 4-stokes are not as compelling IMO; the 2005 WR feels better, the WR "mid hit" grin-factor is lacking on the KTM 4-stokes, the KTM requires more maintenance and the suspension is far better on the 2005 WR -- as I can attest :)

Elton

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Dan, speaking of wheelies: IMO, the WR does smoother long wheelies, lifting the front smooth and controllable, while the 300 Exc whips the front wheel up very quickly and has had me staring at the sky vertical a few times I touched the throttle a fraction too much -- you agree/disagree?

I completely agree.. :)

PS.. A guy is coming over today to buy my 300... :)

• elton

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:00 AM

Dan,

You forgot to give me words of wisdom on the 300e's suspension; want it "WR plush".

Its sad that you are selling the 300m; having both the WR and the 300e makes you appreciate each bike and their differences that much more.

However, I'm :) as well since I'm "all out of sorts" on these bikes: the 300e is trying buck me off at all times (suspension adj?) and since having the JD kit & Zip-Ty installed, my WR runs like sh..t UNLESS I'm hard on-throttle -- at low constant throttle its sputtering/surging, even quitting randomly on idel requiring the hot-start lever, which it never did stock. Not sure where to turn on either issue.

Elton

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:09 AM

Dan,

You forgot to give me words of wisdom on the 300e's suspension; want it "WR plush".

Its sad that you are selling the 300m; having both the WR and the 300e makes you appreciate each bike and their differences that much more.

However, I'm :) as well since I'm "all out of sorts" on these bikes: the 300e is trying buck me off at all times (suspension adj?) and since having the JD kit & Zip-Ty installed, my WR runs like sh..t UNLESS I'm hard on-throttle -- at low constant throttle its sputtering/surging, even quitting randomly on idel requiring the hot-start lever, which it never did stock. Not sure where to turn on either issue.

Elton

try a stock 04 needle :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:10 AM

Elton, you've got to spend some time with the clickers on the KTM. My bike came way too stiff and wanted to buck me off too, I hated it untill I backed the clickers off.. Don't worry it gets better... :)

• beezer

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:48 AM

I rode a buddy's KTM and the suspension sucked. It was very harsh. I could watch the wheels not following the ground when he rode it.

I played around with the clickers and got it much better. It seemed to have to much rebound in the back end.

I still don't like KTM's suspension that much.

• elton

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:51 AM

Excuse my ignorance; but what are the "clickers" -- front fork adj or rear spring, etc.?

Elton

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted February 27, 2005 - 11:07 AM

Yes the clickers adjust the compression and rebound. My ktm suspension feels good to me. It has been worked over by the first owner and I don't know what they did to it but it is as good or better than my wr. Elton back off on the compression all the way and ride it, then slowly increase it until you like it. I felt the same as you. The ktm is so quick that it wants to throw you off. THe more I ride it the more I am getting comfortable on it, I actually found myself pinning it on some trails yesterday and searching for a bit more at times. I love the lighterweight, I can rail the 300 around the trails and not get tired. It is a whole different ball game than my ol wr. The ktm likes to squirt around and i am finding that snappy power very addicting. My buddy is dialing in a 2004 525 mxc and that could quite possibly be my next bike, depending on how it feels when I ride it. I like four storkes and two strokes. Every one should be as lucky as you and have both, I am working on it(the wife, i mean) I want to ride an 05 wr 450, a husky 510 and more 525's. I am a power junky. I need enough to rocket 250 lbs skyward, at alarming rates of speed :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.