Grease Maintanence on YZ's

16 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted February 22, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Is it nessesary to check the factory swingarm grease on the YZ's? I'm used to having fittings but this bike doesn't have 'em. How many of you have broken them down to find insuficient factory grease?

• Wyatt

Posted February 22, 2005 - 06:55 AM

I did it.

They don't come with much grease. The linkage has a sort of permalube material in there. I am sure that it keeps the assembly line cleaner. I pulled it out and packed the bearings with real grease.

• yz_for_me

Posted February 22, 2005 - 07:24 AM

This is one area the manufacturers tend to skimp :) . It would be a good idea to check it. That being said, I haven't checked it on my new one yet. :)

• yz426em

Posted February 22, 2005 - 07:36 AM

i took mine apart 2 days ago and what yamaha sends those bikes with isn't good enough. If i was u i would get those parts off and re-grease them.

• rmracer27

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:24 AM

On my 05 the grease was very easy to clean out. It seems to be a very cheap grease. I would take it apart and re-grease everything..

• fastenuf4u

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:36 AM

goosedog,
I waited until winter the year after I got mine and wished I hadn't!! Their was some scoring on the swingarm bolt that connects the swingarm to the frame. It had almost no grease on it at all. I cleaned off the scoring with some sandpaper and it was good as new but I wished I had torn her down earlier, especially since I couldn't ride it for 3-4 months after I bought it because of the Wisconsin winters! You should get the Storm Linkage to throw on since you will be working in that area anyways, I think it helps your bike turn much better.

• Dano426

Posted February 22, 2005 - 01:39 PM

I purchased my 01 YZ426 used in 03. Found the swing arm collars and bearings were bad. Both shock bearings needed to be replaced as well.

$3.50 in bel-ray grease is way cheaper then parts.

• Goosedog

Posted February 22, 2005 - 05:53 PM

You should get the Storm Linkage to throw on since you will be working in that area anyways, I think it helps your bike turn much better.

What's that :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:58 PM

Don't know what the Storm Linkage is but I take all 3 of my dirt bikes apart and grease them twice a year. It'll save you money and heart ache down the road.

Posted February 22, 2005 - 11:16 PM

The 1st thing I do to any bike I buy, new or used, is tear the entire bike apart and grease EVERYTHING with Bel-Ray grease. I've never had to buy a bearing yet (knock on wood) :) .

• Dano426

Posted February 23, 2005 - 07:18 AM

What's that :)

Here is a link http://www.stormcycles.com

It doesn't look like the make a suspension linkage for the YZ426

• eazrider

Posted February 23, 2005 - 08:05 AM

Pulled my '04 450 apart after about 4 months (everyone's advice) and found the factory grease to be perfectly adequate. Pulled it apart at one year, and STILL looked great. Having said that, it doesn't hurt to repack with good quality aftermarket stuff. I suspect being here in the desert is easier than riding where there is a lot of mud and grit. One thing to remember is to absolutely clean out ALL of the old grease, the replacement grease may not be compatible with the OEM stuff, and that will definitely trash the bearings....turns the lube to a runny paste...been there, done that...

• RAMARION

Posted February 23, 2005 - 08:31 AM

The 1st thing I do to any bike I buy, new or used, is tear the entire bike apart and grease EVERYTHING with Bel-Ray grease. I've never had to buy a bearing yet (knock on wood) :) .

DITTO

• Motoman_AZ

Posted February 23, 2005 - 10:22 AM

I had been asking myself the same questions after my last few rides included alot of water crossings. I had to take my bike down to Palo Verde Suspension for some fork work and he's going to pull apart the shock and swing arm assemblies and inspect and lube. $55 is totally worth it to me! The time and learning curve to getting that all apart right now is totally worth it.... and the peice of mind! :)

• jdyz426f

Posted February 23, 2005 - 10:11 PM

just greased a 99 RM250 and a 2005 CRF250, doing my YZF right now, yes use the bell ray man, clean that crappy grease out and get some good stuff in there.

• Goosedog

Posted February 24, 2005 - 07:06 AM

Done. Took about three hours, and yeah the factory grease job had a lot to be desired. I followed Wrooster's guides on how to and it went fairly easy. Thanks for all the encouragement to do this, Mark

• HIGH COMPRESSION

Posted February 25, 2005 - 02:30 PM

I Would Definitely Put Some Real Grease IN THE REAR LINKAGE. I USE BELL-RAY WATERPROOF GREASE. SEEMS TO WORK GOOD.

HIGH COMPRESSION
YZ450 JARDINE
XR 650R PUMPED

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.