Metal flakes in my oil filter

12 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted February 21, 2005 - 04:31 PM

OK guys do I need to be sweating my motor. I got back from the dunes this w/end and changed my oil today. When I took my filter out I noticed there were some silver metal flakes (shavings) in the filter and the chamber :) The bike ran great over the w/end and didn't have any power loss, just some clutch slippage. Nothing really bad for how hard I push my bike in the sand.

I use one of those metal screen filters that can be cleaned. Are they substandard to the other types. I only use them because they are $5 cheaper then the ones from Yamaha. So what's goin on with the shavings :p Am I doomed :) or is this normal wear? Is it my clutch since all the oil is the same? I change it after every dune trip and 2-3 races.

• 642MX

Posted February 21, 2005 - 04:44 PM

Totally normal, mine has done it since the first oil change.

• sanpedro426

Posted February 21, 2005 - 04:51 PM

The flakes are normal I HOPE because mine does it too. However the filter you use IF its a brass mesh screen is not as good as the paper filters because it doesnt filter as small a particle IF i understand corectly. I switched to the scotts stainless steel filter because it filters to much smaller microns than the paper or the brass. :)

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2005 - 04:53 PM

Remember that your engine shares its oil with the transmission, so it will be pretty normal to see some pretty large chunks in the filter.

If you are using an OEM type brass mesh filter, you could do better. Paper filters finer but bypasses a lot. I recommend a Scotts stainless mesh filter. They are a permanent resusable element. They filter to near paper levels, but have very high flow ratings, so they rarely, if ever, bypass. They cost a bit more up front, but they are well worth it over the long run.

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 21, 2005 - 06:47 PM

IF you want to solve the problem, replace the clutch basket with a Hinson or other aftermarket unit.

• dunecj2a

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:11 PM

OK, cool that really makes me feel better :) Yeah it's one of the Hi Flo brass filters. I will go back to the paper after this oil change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elburro

Posted February 21, 2005 - 09:04 PM

Has Anyone Used A Magnetic Oil Plug? Was Thinking Of Getting One.

• qadsan

Posted February 21, 2005 - 11:02 PM

Has Anyone Used A Magnetic Oil Plug? Was Thinking Of Getting One.

I have them on all my bikes and they can easily be made for under a dollar by drilling the stock drain plug and epoxying + pressing in a neodymium rare earth cylinder magnet. You'll see a grey slime build up on the magnet and sometimes there will be flakes. If you wipe off the grey slime from the magnet with a paper towel, you'll find its magnetic.

• Jetsprint2

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:36 AM

Use a magnet to see what kind of metal is in your filter. This may help you catch a major problem before it happens.

• elburro

Posted February 22, 2005 - 07:19 PM

I have them on all my bikes and they can easily be made for under a dollar by drilling the stock drain plug and epoxying + pressing in a neodymium rare earth cylinder magnet. You'll see a grey slime build up on the magnet and sometimes there will be flakes. If you wipe off the grey slime from the magnet with a paper towel, you'll find its magnetic.

Is that a special magnetor will any do? Thanks

• elburro

Posted February 22, 2005 - 07:19 PM

Is that a special magnet or will any do? Thanks

• YZ426FPilot

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:48 PM

Most of the debris that get caught in the filter is from the clutch basket which is made of aluminum. The magnetic drain plug wont help much with that, but is still a good idea.

• qadsan

Posted February 23, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Is that a special magnet or will any do? Thanks

If you google for words like " neodymium magnets", you'll find lots of places selling these types of magnets. In fact, you may find business selling magnets local to you by checking your phone book. That's how I found my magnets, but the company I bought through has since gone out of business. Here's one quick link I just pulled via google that sells neodymium magnets in a cylinder shape, but shop around because I've never bought anything from the company at the link below and I don't know how competitive their prices are or their shipping / handling costs, etc.

http://www.kjmagneti...ucts.asp?cat=13

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.