O-ring Vs. X-ring?

18 replies to this topic
  • yz426em

Posted February 21, 2005 - 03:31 PM

What are u guys running for a good chain?

• 642MX

Posted February 21, 2005 - 04:47 PM

I run a Regina X-ring gold chain. Its only the second chain that's been on my 426. The factory lasted about 5 rides and was junk.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:22 PM

Regina doesn't make an X-ring chain. They do however, make a new chain they are calling a "Z" ring. DID may have a patent on the x section rings. Regina also makes what I consider to be the best O-ring chain you can mount on a dirt bike in terms of longevity and performance. I put one on a CR500 two years ago and it's still in good shape. I have now adjusted the one on my 450 twice in the year I've had it, but I'm pretty sure this last time is because of sprocket wear. If the Z-ring is better than this, it will be a modern marvel.

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 21, 2005 - 09:37 PM

Top of the hill is the DID ERV2 x-ring, but you'll pay for it. Probably the best value for the buck would be a DID VM series x-ring or possibly a Regina ZRH (z-ring).

• rakkno

Posted February 21, 2005 - 09:50 PM

My local shop recommended not to use an O ring chain on my 426. They said it would not last.I am running a DID chain but the non O ring type. Works Great and low price. :)

• unkle_george

Posted February 21, 2005 - 10:12 PM

My local shop recommended not to use an O ring chain on my 426. They said it would not last

They're smoking something. It should last _longer_. You loose a little power, but gain alot of life out of an o-ring chain.

- Ryan

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2005 - 10:13 PM

Your local shop is wrong.

The power loss is largely mythical. There are only 8 o-rings in motion at a given moment, and only half of those move as far as 25 degrees. Show me on a dyno.

• qadsan

Posted February 21, 2005 - 10:36 PM

My local shop recommended not to use an O ring chain on my 426. They said it would not last.I am running a DID chain but the non O ring type. Works Great and low price. :)

If you don't mind more frequent chain adjustments, then by all means stick with a non-o-ring chain. An o-ring chain will definitely last longer and will require less maintenance on your 426. Once the o-rings warm up which happens while the chain is being used, you will not notice any loss in power. I doubt you could measure a significant and consistant loss in power on a dyno for a modern day o-ring chain on a 426.

As far as good chains go, the X-ring chains are hard to beat for price / performance / durability. Rocky Mountain has very good prices on DID VM X-ring chains and the TT store will beat those prices. The DID ERV2 X-ring is a very good choice and a step up from the VM X-ring, but you'll pay significantly more for this chain than you will for the VM X-ring. RK also offers very high quality chains. The RK X-ring or their more expensive XW-ring chain is also a top notch chain and has a higher tensile strength rating than DID's ERV2.

• rakkno

Posted February 22, 2005 - 07:18 AM

Well maybe I will try the X Ring next too. This is what I like about TT always valuable info. I should have asked on here before buying my new chain and rings. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted February 22, 2005 - 07:19 AM

I run the DID VM X-ring. It's been on my 426 for almost two years. I ride 2 or 3 times a month and it shows now signs of wear or stretch. Highly recomended. As far as loss of power goes, I would be very supprised if anyone could notice a difference.

• yz426em

Posted February 22, 2005 - 07:33 AM

i have a x-ring on my bike and it has been on for a full season and now it is showing alittle age, but i have had it through sand dunes, mud holes, and everything in between. Thanks guys on the suggestions i think i will stay with the x ring for now.

• BigTed

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Does the DID X-Ring VM come with a master link, or do you need to buy one seperate? Also, do you guys think getting a breaker and a link press is a good idea or just a waste of $$$.

Thanks,

Chain swapping noobie.

• qadsan

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:13 AM

I don't know how the chain comes in retail form as I get my chains from someone who buys it in 50ft rolls and I get the master links seperately. My guess would be that bike specific chains sold retail would not include the masterlink. I use the riveted links only because I have the links and the tool to do it, but a clip style master link should be just as strong as long as you're running a top quality master link that's properly installed and regularly inspected.

• SLO_Rider

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:22 AM

I installed an RK GB520EXW which is an "XW" ring on my Yz450. I have only had to adjust it once, and that was after the first ride.

You don't have to have a chain breaker, I use an angle grinder and a center punch, works excellent :)

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:36 AM

Also, do you guys think getting a breaker and a link press is a good idea or just a waste of $$$.

Good tools (not cheap substitutes) make your life easier for years to come. If you actually need and use them, they're never a waste of money. Regina makes one that's a duplicate of the old Reynolds type, a very stout little device that resembles a two jaw puller. I have one that's 30 years old and still takes any living roller chain on the planet apart with no problems, and no pregrinding. They sell for about $30. I use it to disassemble the clip type master links on my chains, since they fit together so tightly.

• Jetsprint2

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:58 AM

I have ran a DID ERT on my 450 for a month of hard riding/racing. Still does not require an adjustment. The chain looks awesome and requires simple maintenance. It seems to me, the less moving/heavy parts on a motocross bike the better, I prefer an O-ringless chain. I don't know if his cleaning methods are wrong but a friend of mine has his o-rings wearing out after 6months of use.

• Flamed1

Posted February 22, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Another vote for the 'X'ring - going on two years with an '01 426. Worth the extra cash in my book! :)

• bigdrtrdr

Posted February 22, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Pressure washer + Oring chain = DEATH
Eric

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2005 - 06:30 PM

I have ran a DID ERT on my 450 for a month of hard riding/racing. Still does not require an adjustment. The chain looks awesome and requires simple maintenance. It seems to me, the less moving/heavy parts on a motocross bike the better, I prefer an O-ringless chain. I don't know if his cleaning methods are wrong but a friend of mine has his o-rings wearing out after 6months of use.

If your friend is pressure washing his chain, or solvent soaking it, he's probably running the lube out of it. An O-ring chain should never be doused with any kind of lube that will collect anything. The lube is sealed in when you get the chain, and can't really be added to. Most guys wash them off with the rest of the bike (if using a PW, spray from the sides only) let them dry and spray them with WD40 to prevent rust. I use Maxima's Synthetic Chain Guard to add some lube to the outer rollers and the O-rings, but that lube drys virtually tack free, and picks up almost nothing, even in the sand.

There are no more heavy or moving parts on an O-ring chain than a non O-ring. If you put the 240 O-rings in a chain into a #6 envelop, a light breeze would blow them away, and as I said earlier, only 8 of them are ever moving at any one time.

When you've run your unsealed chain for a year on one adjustment, we'll talk.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.