Screen Oil Filter In Yz450 Frame

7 replies to this topic

Posted February 21, 2005 - 02:24 PM

I Change The Oil In My Yz450 After Every Ride. But I Don't Always Clean The Screen Filter In The Frame. How Often Should I Clean That Filter.

• DoctorRzed

Posted February 21, 2005 - 02:39 PM

Your wasting you money changing your oil every ride. I only change mine after 3 races.

Posted February 21, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Back to his question, I would like to know this as well. I've only cleaned the screen filter in the frame once.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Check when you first get the bike to look for left over sealer, etc., from assembly, after you do any major work on the bike (for the same reason), and any time there's reason to be suspicious. Otherwise, once or twice a year is probably good enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted February 21, 2005 - 02:41 PM

Thanks grayracer, good info to have. I hate not doing exactly what the book says.

• tnl

Posted February 21, 2005 - 07:37 PM

The book say's "every oil change inspect the strainer". It's a pain in the a__ to remove the strainer!

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:07 PM

The book is attempting to tell you how to do things 100% right. In this particular case, except for those times I mentioned, it may be 100% right, but it's only about 2% necessary. It could be said that you're taking a calculated risk if you don't check it, but IMO, it's a pretty small risk.

Look at it this way, that's the screen from the oil supply to the feed pump. How often does that same screen get checked on a wet sump? :)

The fact that it's on a dry sump bike just makes it more practical to check at all. It doesn't make it mandatory.

• yz450fensenada

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:40 PM

well i havent cleaned mine since i bought the bike in november 2004 well ... the reason is that the who ever assembled this part ( yamaha i guess ) tightened its bolt way too tight ... soo tight that when i tried to bust it loose i striped it and ripped a big chunk of skin of my knuckles soo i said screw it ... but hey is this really bad ... for me havent cleaned it too?

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.