'05 Air Box Snorkel

7 replies to this topic
  • bottomfeeder2

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:12 AM

I've seen plenty of posts discussing removing the snorkel from the air box. I can't seem to find any that include the how-to details. Can someone tell me how to go about doing this? Does anyone have any photos?

• markyjoe

Posted February 21, 2005 - 10:52 AM

http://www.thumperfaq.com/airbox.htm

This link will show you a couple of airbox mods including the snorkel removal. The site is for the 250, but the procedure is the same for the 450.

• WGP

Posted February 21, 2005 - 02:00 PM

What I did was: Drill out rivets holding battery clip out, remove clip, snorkel pulls right out, replace clip using SS bolts so you can secure your battery, piece of cake! Straw in tail pipe removes easily too!
Throttle Stop, thats a different story.

• trailriderjoe

Posted February 21, 2005 - 03:28 PM

"STRAW IN TAILPIPE" :p :D :) :D :o ;) :D
You guys kill me :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cry: :lol: :D :lame: :lame: :lame:

That's about the truth of it :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • timcook

Posted February 22, 2005 - 05:51 PM

The snorkel can be removed with some minor cutting and twisting with pliers. The snorkel itself will come out without damaging the air box. Although it may be in many pieces. I tried something different with my 05. I cut the top open behind the battery with a Dremel. I feel the opening is large enough and is a cleaner opening then multible little holes in the side. Also, I am not comfortable about opening the side of the airbox mainly due to the amount of sand and mud this bike will see. I'll post a photo or two of what I did when I get home tonight.

• bottomfeeder2

Posted February 23, 2005 - 05:56 PM

The snorkel can be removed with some minor cutting and twisting with pliers. The snorkel itself will come out without damaging the air box. Although it may be in many pieces. I tried something different with my 05. I cut the top open behind the battery with a Dremel. I feel the opening is large enough and is a cleaner opening then multible little holes in the side. Also, I am not comfortable about opening the side of the airbox mainly due to the amount of sand and mud this bike will see. I'll post a photo or two of what I did when I get home tonight.

I'd love to see that photo.

• snmhanson

Posted February 23, 2005 - 06:19 PM

Mine was very easy to do, and I didn't have to cut or drill anything and I've got a fully functional airbox snorkel that I can sell on e-bay :) . All I did was take the seat off and take two large flat head screwdrivers and pry the battery side of the snorkel away from the side. Then I used a pair of channel locks to pull the snorkel out. I don't think there was anything besides the seat that got in the way of doing this and I know there was nothing that had to be drilled or cut out. Maybe Yamaha just screwed up putting mine in and forgot to install the extra superfluous retaining clips.

Matt

• timcook

Posted February 23, 2005 - 06:42 PM

I need help in understanding how to post photos. The help menu say to use the "browse" button at the bottom of the reply screen????? Help from anyone????

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.