XL 600 Started after 13 years!!

15 replies to this topic
  • BlkHawkDown

Posted February 20, 2005 - 10:26 PM

Damn, I couldn't believe that this bike would have started! I was sitting outside Sony's warehouse for 13 straight years w/o being touched, I was used in the tv serise Chips. It only has like 89 mi. :) on that We then, got it and kicked it a few time (ya right few times, i wish took us 2 hours). Then out of a long work out it just went vvrrrooooommm. But I can only start it w/o the decompression. :D Would you believe that I would actually start up, with out doing anything to it except for change the oil and add gas? I thought that the piston would be rusted up or something. M-AZING :) and all the electronics work. :p

• AzMtnThumper

Posted February 21, 2005 - 12:15 AM

:)

• frankstr

Posted February 21, 2005 - 05:07 AM

Honda reliabilaty :) :)

• MindBlower

Posted February 21, 2005 - 09:53 AM

You don't use the decompression lever for starting. Only to clear gas from a flooded motor, like after dumping it.

• RingKingPin

Posted February 21, 2005 - 01:16 PM

You don't use the decompression lever for starting. Only to clear gas from a flooded motor, like after dumping it.

Sure ya do, that's what it's there for. On his bike, there is an automatic decompression mech. so it isn't needed so I guess your right when talking about his bike. On my 650r the auto decomp has been removed. Good luck trying to start that without the lever! That's awesome that it started but really, I'm not too suprised, it is a Honda thumper after all! :p :) :)

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 21, 2005 - 06:11 PM

So do you use the Decompression lever, yes or no?

• RingKingPin

Posted February 21, 2005 - 06:35 PM

:) Sorry to confuse things man. Nope, you don't want to use it. Just kick her over. There is an automatic decompression mech. in there which realeases enough pressure to start her. If you flood the bike, you can pull in the clutch and the decomp lever and then kick it through 5 times or so so clear out the jug. If you don't like the sound of a good backfire, you can hold the kill button down while doing this. How did you score this thing from CHIPS :)

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:58 PM

My neighbor is the transporation manager for sony, so he got it from their warehouse, got lucky.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RingKingPin

Posted February 21, 2005 - 09:14 PM

Nice score!

• justicedone

Posted February 23, 2005 - 12:28 PM

I am sure we are all wondering about more info..pics? Price? was it actually used in shows? or just around set.

Being 40 and a child of the CHIPS era, I watched many a show. But it always amazed me (Being a CA resident) how the CHP was stopping bank robberies, drug sales, kidnappings etc...hanging at the beach, vollyball...whatever.

And when they did show the freeways, it was always a 12 car pileup which had to include a Limo, Bus, or Semi hitting some enormous hidden jump and flipping like 5 times. But of course nobody ever got hurt as the driver emerged shaking his head "what happened dude?".

Ah good old TV...

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 23, 2005 - 07:22 PM

It was used in one show on the beach and thats it. 99mi. on each of them, got them for free...and here they are...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• bootlegger2

Posted February 27, 2005 - 03:24 AM

those are so cherry i cant believe you got them for free lucky you
i will be looking at all those reruns now i see to see if i see them
wish they had a sticker or something on them that would make stick out

• Lightningale

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:30 AM

You forgot, freeway speed was 18 MPH too!

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:24 AM

ya, tell me when you find the 1 episope.

• bootlegger2

Posted March 01, 2005 - 03:37 AM

i had to look again and i do see the stickers on the tank of one of them go out patrolin the beach on them haha

• BlkHawkDown

Posted March 01, 2005 - 06:55 PM

i had to look again and i do see the stickers on the tank of one of them go out patrolin the beach on them haha

You found it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.