My 05 WR's a dog. How do I make it more like a YZ

7 replies to this topic
  • MR.MR.

Posted February 20, 2005 - 06:38 AM

What do I need to do to make the power on my 05 WR450 feel more like the YZ. I used to have a yz but I'm getting lazy and wanted the e-start and lights for the night races. But I was surprised at just how much of a power difference there was. I know about replacing the throttle screw with one from a YZ, cutting the gray wire under the tank, and taking out the 82 db insert in the exhaust. Please give me some ideas, this things a turd. :)

• clark4131

Posted February 20, 2005 - 06:50 AM

I know about replacing the throttle screw with one from a YZ, cutting the gray wire under the tank, and taking out the 82 db insert in the exhaust.

Okay, but have you done them yet? Also remove the airbox snorkel, rejet it and put in an adjustable fuel screw. After you do all that, you may change your tune...SC

• elton

Posted February 20, 2005 - 11:18 AM

What do I need to do to make the power on my 05 WR450 feel more like the YZ. I used to have a yz but I'm getting lazy and wanted the e-start and lights for the night races. But I was surprised at just how much of a power difference there was. I know about replacing the throttle screw with one from a YZ, cutting the gray wire under the tank, and taking out the 82 db insert in the exhaust. Please give me some ideas, this things a turd. :)

You must open up the "other end" by removing the airbox snorkel (some additionally cut-out the top) to let it breath. If you removed the black baffle inside the silencer and still want more try a YZ exhaust or for more $$ a third party exhaust system; I'm waiting on a 05 E2. Need more; then there is the YZ cam mod.; see:

http://www.thumperfaq.com -- for details.

The wider gearing on the WR vs. YZ and extra weight is always going to be factor.

My 05 has the primary four mods (stock cam, stock exhaust); it's no "turd!"; very fast, very quick -- it keeps up with my "race ready" 2-st KTM 300Exc very nicely if driven in the upper rev range.

Elton

• GasAHolic

Posted February 20, 2005 - 12:16 PM

Mr. Lazy, some simple reading of other posts would probably answer your questions. :p These mods are recommended for the bike and will certainly be a good place to start, IMO: http://www.thumperta...368#post1758368 :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper_dad

Posted February 20, 2005 - 12:39 PM

If you want a yz that bad then go buy one and have 2 bikes, One for serious trail the other for serious MX

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 20, 2005 - 01:45 PM

After all the free mods. You got to put in the YZ450 exhaust cam in (2003 model) That will make the WR power ouput feel very close to the YZ450 with a heavy flywheel. :)

• Yamadog 450

Posted February 20, 2005 - 10:36 PM

A Dog? SHHHHt Better do some homework eddy, do the mods, I did and she is what I was looking for. Man, what a waste of a good bike, for that matter.....

• 450_James

Posted February 21, 2005 - 04:03 PM

Out of the box my 05 wr450 was a poodle. After the mods it's a monster. I used to struggle with it bogging down on low revs when stock. Now I struggle with keeping the front wheel down and with sore sholders from pulling my arms so hard when cracking the throttle. Best for me was the jetting and the Dr. D exhaust. The throttle screw was a joke. What were they thinking. Got better than a YZ now with a green sticker.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.