sputter and surge after JD Kit and Zip-Ty

63 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted March 13, 2005 - 04:30 PM

What does a fuel screw do?

How does it effect the fuel air ratio? At what RPM's and throttle openings?

How do you know when to fiddle with it?

Why aren't they stock?

Sorry for the questions, but everyone seems to have them and say they are necessary along with the JD kit, but all i have done to my bike is chuck a 170 Main in and it has run fine with the standard uncorked exhaust or the PMB insert.

I'm with ya on this one Mousemeat. I wish I woulda just left my bike stock, it ran fine before I started messing with the needle and jets. I just put in a NCVQ needle and the bike runs so crappy I wisn I had my XR 650 back! :)

• Seabass

Posted March 13, 2005 - 05:24 PM

I'm with ya on this one Mousemeat. I wish I woulda just left my bike stock, it ran fine before I started messing with the needle and jets. I just put in a NCVQ needle and the bike runs so crappy I wisn I had my XR 650 back! :)

I hate to quote myself but I just dropped my needle down to the third clip position and what a difference! I rode it around the neighborhood and tried to get it to bog and sputter but I couldn't. I hope it runs the same way out in the desert! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elton

Posted March 14, 2005 - 08:56 AM

3rd clip position? Since changing my contacts to a different brand, I could not discern the actual # position. JD said middle, my stocker was looked middle, and the shop who did the initial JD kit per the instructions looked middle. I was in a hurry and guessed middle -- seems to run great now with red vs. blue and the kit specified 170.

...but it also ran great w/stock 165S and stock needle. Didn't like cranking that carb to the left, was difficult; stressed me out -- don't want to do again.

Elton

• James_Dean

Posted March 15, 2005 - 01:10 AM

elton,

It's good to see your bike is running better with the kit now. Sorry the first setting wasn't perfect, sometimes the differences in bikes or conditions makes one need a different setting than others.

Thanks,
James

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.