sputter and surge after JD Kit and Zip-Ty

63 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 01, 2005 - 10:40 AM

NC and Stonewall, Thanks guys.... You just gave me something to do today.. :) I'll go to the 4th pos on my 04 needle (even though my bike runs perfect) I'm always up for a test... I'm also aware that a 168 just might be the ticket instead of my 170. I'll wait till next week for that change, one at a time...

Dan :)

• elton

Posted March 01, 2005 - 11:00 AM

Dan,

Get an exhaust system yet?

Elton

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 01, 2005 - 11:36 AM

Dan,

Get an exhaust system yet?

Elton

Elton (yes, your name is cool) I got a GYT-R slip-on this week... The thing is BAD!! The bike sounds real deep and throaty.. I got it for $239.00 I can't wait to ride with it on Friday... Yamaha claims a 3 HP gain :)

• elton

Posted March 01, 2005 - 02:37 PM

Elton (yes, your name is cool) I got a GYT-R slip-on this week... The thing is BAD!! The bike sounds real deep and throaty.. I got it for $239.00 I can't wait to ride with it on Friday... Yamaha claims a 3 HP gain :)

Dan (hey, thanks),

Yamaha "only claims" 3hp? Did you see the Dyno's that Promotobillet has on their site; http://www.promotobi...ews_updates.htm

They show 37hp stock, 43.3 PMB insert, 45.1 Leo slip-on. That's a big spread. IYO, is Yam being conservative/pessimistic, since that's a race class exhaust (bet its loud), or is PMB being optimistic?

Elton

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 01, 2005 - 03:20 PM

To be honest, I really don't know the numbers.... Could be that Yamaha was saying that it's a gain of 3 HP over the stock YZ pipe. I think it's unfair to compare anything to the stock,corked up 05 pipe. I could seriously take out the insert and replace it with a piece of PVC pipe and gain some HP. I've heard that the GYT-R has one of the best gains out of all the manufacturers so I went with it.

• Seabass

Posted March 01, 2005 - 03:37 PM

I have the E2 exhaust and it runs like shi****t! :)

I'm taking my Big Gun off tonite and putting the stock exhaust back on for the same reason. It ran good with the race exhaust but it's too loud, and the quiet insert burnt the logo right off the silencer and turned the end of the pipe brown from all the heat :)

• elton

Posted March 01, 2005 - 07:40 PM

I have the E2 exhaust and it runs like shi****t! :)

DesertWR,

Are you saying the E2 is causing this; or that it did not help the fact that it runs like sh...t after the JD kit (like me)?

Elton

• James_Dean

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:20 AM

elton,

Try running the red marked needle in the middle clip position. Your jetting sounds like it is too rich with the standard kit setting. The change should only take about 15 minutes.

If you or anyone else have any difficulties, let me know on the jetting forum. It's difficult to follow every forum and help.

The purpose of 2 needles in the kit is not only for changing elevations, but to give options when not every bike responds the same to identical jetting. Your low to mid-throttle problems are not the main jet, but the needle setting. When you have the red marked needle set to run clean, there will be more torque and better overall performance than either the stock or '04 needle provides.

Let me know if I can help further and don't hesitate to send an email.

Thanks,
James
email - JDJetting@comcast.net

• elton

Posted March 02, 2005 - 05:30 AM

James,

Thanks!; will try red marked needle in the middle clip position and the 170 main.

Elton

• DesertWR

Posted March 02, 2005 - 02:37 PM

DesertWR,

Are you saying the E2 is causing this; or that it did not help the fact that it runs like sh...t after the JD kit (like me)?

Elton

No, I like the pipe. I'm just saying that opening your bike up is not the problem. It is in the jetting. I'm taking my carb down this week and changing some things. I am going to try the red needle middle, 168 Main, 48 Pilot & 40 Leak. Also putting on the Lowedog Kit. If this does'nt work I think I'll just ....cuss! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elton

Posted March 06, 2005 - 09:34 AM

I'm going to try what James Dean posted to do; try to change my blue to red needle myself -- my "wrench challenged a..", since I need to learn. But I do want to ride today so I'm looking for the cliff notes on how. I could not find any photos here on or thumper faq :) -- bummer, as I learn better visually.

The JD Kit instruction (text) say; "...remove the seat and tank -- wow, is that true, I thought some said the carb "swings out", I thought JD said changing the blue to red needle will take 15 min. -- it'll take me that long to figure what socket to use to get the seat off and removing the gas tank scares the sh.t out of me when I read the part on "ensure that the petcock is closed" or gas will go everywhere, etc.

Any pointers for the 15 min method to change a carb needle?

Elton

• onelugnut

Posted March 06, 2005 - 11:28 AM

It's a 30 min job for me.I think it is a 10 mm for the seat and tank.loosen the boot on the carb then rotate the carb.allen wrench the top cover off the carb.inside the carb is another allen head screw it will have some blue lock tight on the head.remove that one screw.remove that then you should see the top of the needle.I rotate the throttle to bring up the slide then grab the top of needle with tweezers pull it out.swap needles and put it all back.Look at the manual if you have any problems.

• elton

Posted March 06, 2005 - 09:51 PM

It took me far longer than 15 min. Removing the seat and tank was easy, but turning the carb out, where I could get to the top was hard -- even after loosening the (2) front clamps, rear clamp and removing the airbox connection. Something was binding; thought I would never get it to turn out -- or I was going to mess-up something. I kept loosening the front clamps and almost pulled it our of manifold hookup, but I finally got it around with easy pressure and took the top off. However, the allen wrench nut inside was very hard to un-tighten (had loctite on it) -- I REALLY didn't like applying so much force to the internals of my carb.

The rest was fairly easy, as I installed the red needle with the clip in the middle, but was very stressful messing with the "heart" of my new WR.

I almost put the stock needle back (w/clip in middle), since it ran great with it and had a hard time getting the clip off -- but went ahead with the red, per JD recommendation.

I don't feel that I used as much force to tighted the allen nut inside the carb and I needed to break it lose -- it this bad?

I put all back together; could not remember if the tank hooked to anything, or just sat there heled by (2) bolts -- I just bolted it on.

It started fine and on a short ride seemed better; will see on my next ride -- as this sputter/surge and random quits off idel, is more noticible after riding a while.

I put loctite on the allen wrench nut inside the carb, as it appeared to have such before; I did not loctie the tank, radiator shrouds, or seat bolt; as they did not appear to have prior residue -- should I have?

Elton

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:54 AM

Dont use loctite on your carb. Use anitseize! :)

• elton

Posted March 08, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Dont use loctite on your carb. Use anitseize! :)

Hummm; that's a curve ball -- who knew! It looked like loctite and was mentioned in this thread that such was used on the allen screw holding the needle.

So, did I mess it up by using a small amount of loctite on the allen screw that holds the needle?

What about the other bolts (tank, shrouds, seat, etc.) should I have loctite'ed them?

Is the normal to have a hard time rotating the carb to the left side to get at the top?

Elton

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 08, 2005 - 08:09 AM

I would never use any kind of loctite on my bike, anywhere... If anything I grease about half of the bolts on the bike using a good grease.

• elton

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:02 AM

Even on the KTM300e? Actually, the KTM dealer told me to loctite everything.

Elton

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 08, 2005 - 02:04 PM

I would never use any kind of loctite on my bike, anywhere... If anything I grease about half of the bolts on the bike using a good grease.

I am with Dan Lorenze on this one. I use grease on large bolts and antiseize on small bolts especially going into aluminum tapped mounts. I only use loctite on engine bolts that are exposed to heavy vibration! You really have to know what will vibrate loose and what wont. Years of experience! :)

Dealers are the worst place to go for advice! TT has way more knowledge and experience! :)

• elton

Posted March 13, 2005 - 08:40 AM

Yesterday I confirmed that James Dean's advice of replacing the blue needle (as the JD Kit instructed) with the red needle (each were middle clipped) fixed the sputter/surge.

I still not sure what options the Zip-Ty provide; so, I'm leaving it alone.

Thanks to all who offered advice,

Elton

• mousemeat

Posted March 13, 2005 - 03:35 PM

What does a fuel screw do?

How does it effect the fuel air ratio? At what RPM's and throttle openings?

How do you know when to fiddle with it?

Why aren't they stock?

Sorry for the questions, but everyone seems to have them and say they are necessary along with the JD kit, but all i have done to my bike is chuck a 170 Main in and it has run fine with the standard uncorked exhaust or the PMB insert.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.