Jetting question

1 reply to this topic
  • cdonowho

Posted February 19, 2005 - 08:09 PM

New '05 450. Did all the standard mods. Installed JD kit, blue needle (4th groove), 170 main. My elevation is around 800 ft. Changed to zip-ty screw, adjusted to 1 3/4 out.

Bike starts fine, but when the choke is disengaged the bike dies. I can pull the hot start and it fires back up fine with the choke still disengaged. Am I not letting it warm up enough?? I'm probably letting it run about 2-3 min (ambient temp is around 55) before taking it off choke.

Should I go to a 72 starter jet and 48 pilot? The bike starts and runs great so I don't want to do anything to screw it up. Maybe she's just going to be a little cold natured? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted February 19, 2005 - 08:17 PM

Leave the starter jet alone is she starts OK. Try and adjust your idle higher. You should be on a 48 pilot until summer and then go back to a 45 pilot when it is hot out. :) You may also try the red needle in clip 5 when it gets around 70 degrees.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.