Bike chain is binding

6 replies to this topic
  • HondaXR650L

Posted February 19, 2005 - 05:32 PM

My bike chain is binding. The links are bunching up, how do I fix it and what do I use to keep it loose? I bought the bike used and am still try'n to work out alll the bugs. :)

• frankstr

Posted February 19, 2005 - 06:47 PM

Try cleaning it with kerosene, Soaking it if possible and lube it well after it's clean........

• Brianc

Posted February 19, 2005 - 06:52 PM

oil it well, then ride it for a short distance, then remove it and soak it again. If it still binds, then it is time for a new chain; always replace the sprockets when you replace your chain

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grreatdog

Posted February 19, 2005 - 07:46 PM

Everytime I had one do that it was toast. You can try soaking it, but you are most likely looking at buying a new one.

• XR650Rrider

Posted February 19, 2005 - 09:59 PM

It will start eating sprocket teeth shortly if it hasn't already. Look closely for broken teeth.

• HondaXR650L

Posted February 20, 2005 - 08:47 PM

Oil the chain, what's the best stuff to use? No broken teeth yet, and no wear showing, yet.

• tullymars

Posted February 27, 2005 - 06:14 PM

Take it off and throw it away,go buy a good NON O RING chain,keep it oiled and it wont bined.Dirt gets in between the o rings and causes binding,usually its irreversable.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.