No spark!!!! XR80 point gap?

7 replies to this topic
  • TakinaDirtNap

Posted February 19, 2005 - 08:21 AM

I have gone round and around with this XR :)

I put a test light on the wire from the stator under the tank and I get a dim light while kicking it over. I am not sure if the test light is a good test for the stator but I am not sure how to test it.
Should I get a ohm reading while kicking it over?

I had the coil tested at the shop and they say its good. The spark plug gap reads 2 ohms so the shop says thats okay.

I bought the points so I guess I should change the points? Anyone know what the point gap is supposed to be for the 85 XR80? How about the plug gap?

Its looks like I need to buy a service manual for this restoration any recomendations ?

thx

• colemanapp

Posted February 19, 2005 - 10:11 AM

I finally broke down and bought a Clymer manual for my kids 86 xr 80. Point gap is .3-.4mm(.012-.016 inches), spark plug gap is .6-.7 mm(.024-.028 inches). The manual covers 1975-2003 models and xr75-xr100 models. Looks like its worth the $28.
Bob

• TakinaDirtNap

Posted February 19, 2005 - 03:49 PM

I finally broke down and bought a Clymer manual for my kids 86 xr 80. Point gap is .3-.4mm(.012-.016 inches), spark plug gap is .6-.7 mm(.024-.028 inches). The manual covers 1975-2003 models and xr75-xr100 models. Looks like its worth the $28.
Bob

Super thanks Bob!! I will be inivestin in a manual for sure.

Anyone know how to test the signal from the points/stator? I was told the test light is not the way should test?

• dirtbkr188

Posted February 19, 2005 - 04:58 PM

The test light only indicates that you have some spark coming from the stator. Holding the spark plug by the coil wire boot, and touching the engine with the plug (to create a ground), while you hand kick the bike over, will indicate the strength of the spark. A nice fat blue spark will usually indicate a good spark, and a dim, weak looking spark, is just that...weak.
A new set of points, properly gapped, will improve your spark, provided your stator is okay.
As colemanapp stated, getting a Clymer Manual is the best investment you can make.

• TakinaDirtNap

Posted February 19, 2005 - 08:10 PM

:) Thanks guys!!! ITs ALIVE ITS ALIVEEEEE!!!!!! :)

new points got me spark and cleaned the carb and she lit right up. While it runs okay it seemed down on power.

I pulled the exhaust off to do a little clean up and it looks like its got a carbon layer about 1/8' think all around the exaust pipe and coming out the head. Any suggetions for clearing this out?

Thx

• TakinaDirtNap

Posted February 19, 2005 - 09:07 PM

Cool thx--how do you get the carbon out of the exhaust port?

• dirtbkr188

Posted February 20, 2005 - 05:33 AM

When you're due to put in a new top end, have the shop or dealer glassbead the head assembly for you. You will need to disassemble the valves, springs, keepers, rockers, etc, and strip it down for them, but it will save you money, doing it yourself.
If you prefer to have the shop do everything, they will lap the valves in, and reassemble everything for you.

• TakinaDirtNap

Posted February 20, 2005 - 08:14 AM

When you're due to put in a new top end, have the shop or dealer glassbead the head assembly for you. You will need to disassemble the valves, springs, keepers, rockers, etc, and strip it down for them, but it will save you money, doing it yourself.
If you prefer to have the shop do everything, they will lap the valves in, and reassemble everything for you.

Thanks dirtbikr188--

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CRF 80 XR 80 Suspension Rear Shock Fix by WAKTMRider

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

What Would Be The best dirt bike for a 12 year old? by ramis

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  48 replies
Forums
Photo

'02 XR200 Adventure/Mountain Bike by mx4god

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Seal Problem by SouthShore_Boy

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Xr200r Cam Chain way to loose by spooledupgti

• 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.