How hard is it to kick start a WR400?

26 replies to this topic
  • ample

Posted February 23, 2005 - 12:11 PM

Not sure about Cali, but $3600 seems pretty steep for a 99 WR400. Low NADA is $1800ish here in the southeast, high is $2400. Can prices be that much different? :) :p

Regarding the starting.....What everyone above said. as long as it's tuned properly, its a piece of cake.
:)

• buck_y_lee

Posted February 23, 2005 - 03:33 PM

thats all fine fellow blue riders, but could I be told of procedure if for some reason your decomp cable snapped?

Bump start it in 2nd gear, or pull the decomp cable with your teeth.

• 5valve

Posted February 24, 2005 - 02:06 PM

have u tried to bump start it, mine wont even if in 5th gear not using the decomp, maybe teeth yea

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buck_y_lee

Posted February 24, 2005 - 04:10 PM

Well, kind of. I've stalled it once or twice, or maybe I just almost stalled it, and the engine fired up again when I let the clutch out.

• Gee

Posted February 24, 2005 - 08:49 PM

I never thought about trying to start it without the decomp, but I would think it would be nearly impossible, even bump starting would be very tough.

• wcrhillbilly

Posted February 26, 2005 - 08:43 AM

actually you can start it without the decomp
you just need to get it tdc
then use some strength and push on kicker to it goes one more little bit
then let it pop back up
then give her the kick like you normaly do
it works once you get it past the spot where the main valves pop open again you have released the compression hehe

• doubledee

Posted February 26, 2005 - 09:11 AM

No problem! I just bought a used 99 WR400 as well. Been riding an E :) Start 04 WR250 so I had little experience with kick starts. The bike I bought had not been started in 6 months. I drained the carb, followed the starting proceduce on thumperfaq.com and it started up after about 15 tries. Now that it's been run every couple of weeks or so it starts right up every time.

dd

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.