Posted February 18, 2005 - 09:05 PM

Looking at a 99 MY, no majoc button.

How difficult is it to start cold/hot?

Rare CA plated version........

Tx

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 18, 2005 - 09:40 PM

Its sooooo hard so dont even try!!! :)

J/K man, I just picked up a 426 and it was interesting to get started to say the very least. Its all about technique and sequence. My search on this breed of yami brought me across many posts explaining some good tricks. I suggest you try the same.

Good luck!!

• Eric_F

Posted February 18, 2005 - 09:56 PM

You kick slowly till you hit the compression, pull the decompression lever slightly, then push the kickstarter down about 2 inches. Mine has kind of a solid feel at that point. I then release the decomp lever and give a good, firm kick. It always starts on the 1st kick unless it's 45 degrees or below.

~Eric

• Hamish

Posted February 18, 2005 - 10:22 PM

it's a 'piece of piss' mate
I've got a 426, but cant imagine the 400 being much different.
If it isnt tuned properly, it's damn near impossible.
It'll start hot or cold 1st kick. Mine will even start with me sitting down on the seat if I put enough effort into it.
Even after it's been dropped, hold it WOT with decomp in and hotstart out, kick it over a few times to vent the chamber, then away you go. barp barp barp barp.
The only time it can be difficult is when you are stuck 1/2 way up a steep slippery hill, but any bike is going to be a apain in these conditions.

• buck_y_lee

Posted February 18, 2005 - 11:49 PM

I'm also on a 426, but man it is the easiest thing to start.

Apart from the routine, the secret is to kick solidly all the way through. I am only a lightweight bloke and can only reach the ground on my toes while seated, but I fire it up without any trouble at all.

Find TDC, push an inch past with decomp, return starter to top, then kick right through to the end of the stroke.

Too easy. :)

• stumpyten

Posted February 19, 2005 - 07:17 AM

like everyone else says its real easy to start once you no how much easier then a xr none of that kicking up and down for ten mins just to find tdc,just push the kickstart down once this always finds tdc pull decomp lever push kickstart down a little let it fly back up let go of decomp lever and kick usually starts first time,make sure you dont touch the throttle untill shes fired up or it will kick back on you,

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 19, 2005 - 07:25 AM

Looking at a 99 MY, no majoc button.

How difficult is it to start cold/hot?

Not hard at all. Just remember not to give it any throttle. The accelerator pump will flood the cylinder immediately.

Cold: Pull the choke out, pull the decomp lever in and kick through once or twice, kick until it gets to TDC, pull the decomp lever in and lightly push the kicker down about 1" -2", then release and kick through smooth and steady.

Hot: Same as above, no choke and definitely no throttle. The hot start really isn't needed unless you've dropped it.

Since you're buying used I'd check & clean/change the plug at the very least. It'll fire much easier. You'll figure it out.

• Bamster

Posted February 19, 2005 - 07:57 AM

Follow the drill as stated but make sure you have a good pair of boots on.
Running shoes will make it more difficult.

• mannytranny

Posted February 19, 2005 - 09:12 AM

Thanks folks. Ive got limited (read none) experience with kick starting in the first place.....

As long as it isnt a big PITA even when you get it figured out, I should be fine.

The guy is asking 3600 for a 99 WR400F, CA plates, he says its super clean, but thats TBD.

Tx

• tree77

Posted February 19, 2005 - 02:04 PM

You kick slowly till you hit the compression, pull the decompression lever slightly, then push the kickstarter down about 2 inches. Mine has kind of a solid feel at that point. I then release the decomp lever and bring the kick start lever back up and give a good, firm kick. It always starts on the 1st kick unless it's 45 degrees or below.

~Eric

Bought a new 01' 426 last June. Made me stress out after I bought it because I could not start it (30 min., 45 min, sometimes not at all) BUT I found out that I DID NOT NEED TO TWIST THE THROTTLE FIRST LIKE MY OLD XR!

Now I do the routine listed above and it fires first or second kick every time. Some people say to pull in the decomp lever and kick it a few times "to prime the cylinder" but I never had any luck doing this so I don't. I figure it either starts on the first kick or the first kick will act as a "primer" and then it starts on the second. After flooding it so much when I first got it (from twisting the throttle) I am a little gun-shy about flooding it.

BUT since I do drain the carb after riding each time I do wait about 20 seconds after I turn the fuel peecock (sp?) to on before I try to start it. Supposedly this lets the gas down into the carb.

If you follow the same routine listed above it should fire on the first or second..maybe third kick.

By the way, I LOVE MY 426! I am absolutely, postively sure that Yamaha custom made this bike just for me!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tree77

Posted February 19, 2005 - 02:07 PM

By the way....the best advice I ever got about starting my bike (besides the starting routine was DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN STARTING IT!

No matter how bad you want to give it a twist, avoid that m/f like the PLAGUE!!! Grab the break box instead!

• Gee

Posted February 19, 2005 - 02:26 PM

I agree with all the comments above, they are easy to start once you know the drill. My old XR600 was a real PITA to start when it was cold outside, the WR starts pretty easy even in 20-30 degree temps. I ride a 98 WR with too many miles to count and it has been rock solid.

• Bamster

Posted February 19, 2005 - 06:18 PM

Yes ,,,never touch the throtle is the number 1 rule.
Except for a couple of twists before kicking when its the first start of the day .
:)

• Gadsen

Posted February 19, 2005 - 06:23 PM

You kick slowly till you hit the compression, pull the decompression lever slightly, then push the kickstarter down about 2 inches. Mine has kind of a solid feel at that point. I then release the decomp lever and give a good, firm kick. It always starts on the 1st kick unless it's 45 degrees or below.

~Eric

And no throttle while kicking it over!

• 1rkcooper

Posted February 19, 2005 - 07:45 PM

Easy to kick, easy to start as long as it is tuned properly. Here is a link to starting.
http://www.yamaha-mo..._stroke_fr.html

• 99wr400

Posted February 19, 2005 - 10:49 PM

It is easier to start than a 2smoke with a worn out piston. :)

• wcrhillbilly

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:50 PM

i have a 2000 wr400f i have no problems with it
only starting problems i have is starting when cold whith my buggs bunny slippers!

• 5valve

Posted February 23, 2005 - 07:53 AM

thats all fine fellow blue riders, but could I be told of procedure if for some reason your decomp cable snapped?

• Jackazz

Posted February 23, 2005 - 08:40 AM

thats all fine fellow blue riders, but could I be told of procedure if for some reason your decomp cable snapped?

Step 1. Curse loudy. If in woods, scream obscenities at motorcycle until assistance arrives.

Step 2. Put bike in neutral, & get a tow back to the truck.

Step 3. Load bike in truck, drive home.

Step 4. Purchase auto decomp exhaust cam & don't forget the decomp lever plug from the TT store.

Step 5. Offer up auto decomp exhaust cam & decomp lever plug to WR.

Step 6. Inspect remaining cables (clutch, throttle, hot start if applicable) on motorcycle & pay better attention to them before future rides.

:)

• 5valve

Posted February 23, 2005 - 09:09 AM

thats it, rather long procedure though :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.