WR trans in a YZ

9 replies to this topic
  • w7jjx

Posted February 18, 2005 - 07:00 PM

I have heard a WR trans will work in a YZ.I need to hear from someone who has done this.Need to know what exactly is needed to do this mod.I have a '05 YZ 450. :)

• yzf450jack

Posted February 18, 2005 - 07:20 PM

You need ALL the gears the two shafts shift forks 3 of them shift drum all the gaskets your bike is new the seals should still be good :) about $800.00 give or take and your yz manual is worthless you will need a wr shop manual I looked at the microfinch for were the gears go :)

Posted February 18, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Yeah youc an do it, but it will cost you ALOT of money, more than $1,000 thats for sure.

• yzf450jack

Posted February 18, 2005 - 07:38 PM

No more than $800.00 if you do it your self :)

Posted February 18, 2005 - 07:51 PM

No more than $800.00 if you do it your self :)

Yeah, but why would you want do do it anyway? If you are having gearing problems just do some experimenting with different sprocket sizes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf450jack

Posted February 18, 2005 - 08:01 PM

Tryed gearing it i just screwed up the shift splits 4 speed is no good for trail riding

• 2wheelbandit

Posted February 18, 2005 - 08:24 PM

I was thinking about doing the same mod. I just purchased a one tooth smaller counter shaft sprocket to see if that will work for a little wile. I also do trail riding\hill climbing\open desert,so I'm not thrilled about loseing top end speed.

• ironhead

Posted February 19, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Sprockets can only do so much. I have an 01 426yz that I dual sported and 1st gear is way too high on rough stuff or change sprockets and no top end. I am thinking recluse. :)

• w7jjx

Posted February 19, 2005 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for all the input,I think it will be a worth while mod.Guess I better start saving some money. :)

• yz450fensenada

Posted February 20, 2005 - 01:45 AM

well it added up to 750 dllrs on my bike ...everything new, installed !!!!
but it maybe that it was soo lil money because i live in mexico and my mechanic is a real good friend of mine and well also labor is way cheaper and i dont care if anybody says something bad like oooooh my god you had it done in mexico ! these guys work hard and dont screw around... but they will go for joyrides around the neighborhood but soo what.. believe the y call it test riding but wheelies i dont think apply to testing but soo what ! thats what the frikin bikes are made for ! :)

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.