6 replies to this topic
  • jaffie

Posted August 10, 2001 - 11:58 AM

Did anyone ride with 13/50 gear?
How does it feel, do you have to switch gear too often?
I'm going to do this cause it's a cheap way of gaining more power at low rpm. I've just got a stock 00 WR400 but i'm gonna save some money first to buy a new exhaust so...

• Bill

Posted August 10, 2001 - 01:52 PM

Several guys are using the 13/50 (3.846 Ratio) others use the 14/52 (3.714) I prefer the 14/52. The chain does not have to wrap as tight around the countershaft sprocket and with the stock chain, it moves the rear axle up, making the bike easier to turn in the tight stuff. Also the 13/50 makes first way to low on the dub-R.

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• Jason_Williams

Posted August 13, 2001 - 12:38 PM

anyone tried 13/52? super granny

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted August 13, 2001 - 08:39 PM

I run 13/50 and 13/49. First gear isn't used much, and my top speed is only :D about 61 mph now. I've tried 14/52 and thought is was fine, too. They are both close choices, I prefer the slightly lower gearing for trailwork. had to cut down part of the chain guide when I went to 52. It's not quite

If you go 13/50, you can remove a link to push the rear tire forward slightly and you'll have slightly less rotating/unsprung mass :). If you do remove a link or use 14/52, be sure to re-check sag and rebound, you're suspension will seem harder as yo decreased the leverage on the shock.

Posted August 13, 2001 - 09:04 PM

I have been using the 13/50 for our trails. Mostly very tight single track stuff. I chose this option because it is easier to switch the primary sprocket than the rear. If I go to the desert then I just change the 13 back to a 14. In addition, I added a 12 oz. flywheel weight. This provides great traction and lugability. I find that if there is a 50 yard straight section of single track followed by a hair pin at the end you can stay in third or fourth and rev the heck out of it and as you approach the turn power off. The engin will break enough so that I don't even have to touch the breaks just set up for my turn then punch it out. It has cut the stall factor way down as well. You do loose some top end but when are you going to be doing 90mph on a single track? Fortunately, it is cheap to try it. Buy a 13 put it on and see how it works for you. If you don't like it you haven't wasted much money. Good luck! :) P

• carverdude

Posted August 13, 2001 - 11:45 PM

I use 13/50 and like it a lot.Tight Ohio singletrack most of the time.Still tops out at 84 MPH on the road.Plenty fast for me!

• Jason_Williams

Posted August 14, 2001 - 08:23 AM

I'm running 13/50 and find myself reved out in first but bogged down in second on super tight trails and am thinking of 13/52 and bagging first gear most of the time and using second instead. any one tried this?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.