New Board Member...sup !

Hey guys, my first post here as a new member and rescent dual sport buyer. I have ridden street and dirt over 30 years, and sold my 96CBR900rr on new years eve. I was eyeing something a little newer even though it was an awesome machine I loved for 7rs..he he

The next day I saw a 2003 Honda XR650L advertised with only 600 miles from original owner...not broken in and not a scratch. He was asking $5000. But I had $4000 cash. I luckily convinced him to sell to me (sucker) for the 4k.

So Far I have removed the smog crap (Cali bikes have a lot) with a IMS block off kit. Added a shark Fin, Renthal Bars and a few other goods. Next purchases will be a Skid Plate, Uni type filter and Carb Dyno kit, White Bros E Series Exhaust (or Big Gun)..(which is better? FMF etc?) And a Fork Brace with Seal Savers. Also Want an IMS Bigger tank eventually. And some Acerbis hand and fork guards.

I have commuted the bike to work about 6 times (56mi round trip) averaging around 75-80 mph, and it rides nice although one day winds were gusting up to 50mph, was pretty hairy ! And have done some pretty fun trail busting, mud bogging and dirt jumping. Its a little soft off road but fun and capable. And I am very pleased with the Red Beast. I cant wait till I am able to afford the needed power increases and open this baby up right and proper like ?

Anyways I would like to say hello, and could use any advice on the XR650L...I have read a lot on the web, and look forward to making some friends and learning more here...

Jim in San Diego

Live Long...Ride Hard

This board has tons of great people and great information. I have most of the mods you are talking about doing and will answer anything I can. If I can't there are tons of people here that can. Ask them on the board or PM.

P.S. Welcome to the c"L"ub.

E-Series or Big Gun - I have an E-series on mine because I did some parts trading for it. It works great. If I was to buy a new pipe I would probably try the Big Gun. I will be purchasing a Big Gun head pipe in the future when I need it. Mike Young (Owner of Big Gun ) is a class act. I spoke with him with some header questions and he talked me into waiting on an oversized header until I do some cam or header work etc... He also referred me to Suspensions by Jake (another class act) who is a 25 year suspension tuner that was with the Honda factory race team for several years. I like to deal with people that take the time to actuall find out what your need is and not just sell parts.

Another plus is Big Gun supports TT

Either pipe you buy you will be happy with and both pipes will have a low price guarantee on TT. Another big plus

Hey guys, my first post here as a new member and rescent dual sport buyer.

Welcome. This is a great place to find out just how you want to dial-in your machine.

The next day I saw a 2003 Honda XR650L advertised with only 600 miles from original owner...not broken in and not a scratch. He was asking $5000. But I had $4000 cash. I luckily convinced him to sell to me (sucker) for the 4k.

Sounds like an excellent deal. Just make sure you check the valve lash and change the oil since it probably hasn't had it's first service yet.

So Far I have removed the smog crap (Cali bikes have a lot) with a IMS block off kit. Added a shark Fin, Renthal Bars and a few other goods. Next purchases will be a Skid Plate, Uni type filter and Carb Dyno kit, White Bros E Series Exhaust (or Big Gun)..(which is better? FMF etc?) And a Fork Brace with Seal Savers. Also Want an IMS Bigger tank eventually. And some Acerbis hand and fork guards.

You are well on your way to mod mania. Besides those mods you've listed, drill the slide, shim the needle (search the archives) and ditch the stock "slicks" if you plan on doing any serious off-roading. Believe me, you'll regret it, especially if its wet dirt. Also, air up the forks with 5 psi. This is always overlooked. You'll need and want the air-assist after you install a larger tank.

I have commuted the bike to work about 6 times (56mi round trip) averaging around 75-80 mph, and it rides nice although one day winds were gusting up to 50mph, was pretty hairy ! And have done some pretty fun trail busting, mud bogging and dirt jumping. Its a little soft off road but fun and capable. And I am very pleased with the Red Beast. I cant wait till I am able to afford the needed power increases and open this baby up right and proper like ?

What, with all the $ you saved on the deal? 70 mph is a pretty good clip for the L. The engine seems to like that speed with stock gearing. There's a reason why we like to call it the AAV or All-terrain Assault Vehicle.

Anyways I would like to say hello, and could use any advice on the XR650L...I have read a lot on the web, and look forward to making some friends and learning more here...

Jim in San Diego

Live Long...Ride Hard

PM me sometime. My buddies and I ride all over SD. Keep the rubber side down.