Crf 600 X

70 replies to this topic
  • drex

Posted February 24, 2005 - 08:23 AM

Kay? Dont make me laugh--that dudes' slow and a looser, cant even catch a plane on time....plus he always crashes out in Felipe.

Now that's funny!
:)

• XR/CRDave

Posted February 26, 2005 - 11:09 AM

As far as desert racing goes the big 650R is showing its age with the new KTM, Husky, WR, etc... thumpers entering the sport. But if one wants to buy a bike to do long rides down Baja and make it home there's just not too many choices left. The XR400 is supposedly gone, the DRZ400 is reliable but a little boring, the KTM 520 or 525 is awesome but I have seen them break alot, the Husky 450 hauls; I haven't ridden the 510 but the Husky 450 was quirky-didn't start easily, Husabergs from what I have been told are fun but breakdown, WRs are reliable but not comfortable, so what left to do longs rides, the 650R my friends and thats what I will stay with til the others prove themselves. Just my opinion.

• brrpr

Posted February 28, 2005 - 02:16 PM

I agree the R is a great bike for multi-day baja rides...but what about the KTM 625 or KTM 640 Adventure?!

Its a timely post--the KTM beat the Honda in Baja this weekend. hmmmm.

• motorick426

Posted February 28, 2005 - 02:52 PM

It seems to me that "multi day Baja rides" and the San Felipe 250 are two completely different worlds. I think most of the guys here have XR650s for dual-sport and all around off-road use and I don't think that many will ever see a starting line.

And isn't the San Felipe event the tighest most technical of all the SCORE races? And the big XRs still do pretty darn well.

I think the KTMs are pretty cool and I know they have a bit of a cult following, but I rode a 625 before I bought my XR650 and was very dissapointed by the excessive (at least to me) vibration and decided the XR was the way to go for a fun, reliable, dual-sport bike and for that use it's a pretty tough bike to beat.

• XR/CRDave

Posted February 28, 2005 - 07:12 PM

I road an older 620 KTM and it vibrated quite a bit almost as bad as my 500 2stroke. It was powerful though and the suspension seemed ok. I really see the 625's as KTM kinda of piecing together old or existing parts to have a bigbore on the market.

Congrats to KTM winning the San Felipe 250 !!!, although I read that Team Honda had the lead all day but got a flat w/ only 10 miles left to go and KTM went by at that point while JC was on the side of the road. I think this will give Honda something to think about. Why didn' t honda race the 450R or the new 450x? It seems like they would good choices considering how ruff the 250 is, lots of woops.

• Homey

Posted March 01, 2005 - 09:40 AM

I road an older 620 KTM and it vibrated quite a bit almost as bad as my 500 2stroke. It was powerful though and the suspension seemed ok. I really see the 625's as KTM kinda of piecing together old or existing parts to have a bigbore on the market.

Congrats to KTM winning the San Felipe 250 !!!, although I read that Team Honda had the lead all day but got a flat w/ only 10 miles left to go and KTM went by at that point while JC was on the side of the road. I think this will give Honda something to think about. Why didn' t honda race the 450R or the new 450x? It seems like they would good choices considering how ruff the 250 is, lots of woops.

Grider was ahead by time when he came by us at RM196.

• brrpr

Posted March 01, 2005 - 03:32 PM

[quote name='motorick426']It seems to me that "multi day Baja rides" and the San Felipe 250 are two completely different worlds.

Ice Fishing and Baja racing are two completely different worlds.

Multi-day Baja rides or SCORE races:
Big tanks, steering dampners, tuff tires, softer suspension, skid plates, tool belt, thick tubes, extra airfilter, camelback with a power bar, couple spares, usually a headlight.....

If a bike works well SCORE racing--it'll do just fine on a trip to Cabo :)

IMHO the best all around Baja bike is a XR400. Reliable as a brick. Can be modded for most SCORE races...i love mine. Most fun in Baja i've ever had was on my new Husky. 51 hp stock. 239lbs dry. 90mph max speed. Much more stable than the BRP in the highspeed and or ruff stuff.

the 650R isnt bad in Baja--i will keep mine. But its not perfect. Its heavy, needs a suspension upgrade, a button. Plus its prone to some 'oddities' like overheating, flooding, and loosing a footpeg--still its a solid bike and can take lots of miles on its low tech/reliable engine -- but the days when it was the only logical choice for south of the border are over--either racing or mulit-day trail riding: there are other logical options.

• motorick426

Posted March 01, 2005 - 07:35 PM

I'm not so sure what you mean about ice fishing, but i'm sure it must be clever.

It's great to hear that there are other bikes out there that will exeed the XR650 in both reliablity and performance, I had no idea that the Husky was that trick, I can't wait to ride one.

No doubt the XR650 is heavy. I was going to Dual-Sport my 2002 YZ426 but just thought that the big XR would be a better long term dual-sport bike than the 426 and I think I made the right decision. But I really loved the 426 in the dez., in part because of the much lighter weight. But I am way too slow to push either bike to the limit, I just enyoy riding like everyone else here and stoked to have what I feel is a real fun bike.

It sounds like you must have a ton of experience, I appriciate the insight.

Rick

• irondude

Posted March 02, 2005 - 11:03 AM

i think he meant ice fishing and baja trips are really two different worlds and that any bike that could be raced in the SF 250 would do well on a trip to Cabo. Seems like he found it odd you would say baja trail riding is so different than baja racing--he listed all the similariites that the bikes would have. I for one did think it was clever--ice fishing is something done in the cold, on a lake--its very sedentery and not much happens for many hours, while baja riding or racing is something done in the heat of the desert, where ever second things change...a good example of things that are truly very different...hope you get it now. It wasnt that hard to get. Maybe you got it before?

he agreed with you about the 650 being a good and reliable-but heavy- bike.

he didnt say the Husky was THE ticket. HE SAID THE XR400 WAS THE TICKET!
he said he loved riding the Husky in Baja and finds several bikes to be good choices for south of the border these days.

I agree with him. When the XR650 first came out it really was THE bike.
But now KTM, Husky, Yamaha, others have all come out with models that do well down south--at the same time the 650R has revealed some flaws that Honda never bothered to fix...

glad you like your BRP.

• jws

Posted March 02, 2005 - 11:24 AM

I for one did think it was clever

me too :p :) :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motorick426

Posted March 02, 2005 - 11:47 AM

Interesting, he said the XR400 was the ticket, but the XR650 needs a suspension upgrade. I didn't know that the XR400 had better suspension than the XR650, learn somthing new every day.

And don't let all those guys racing and winning on XR650s in Baja know that they are flawed.

Thanks again!

• JackAttack

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:35 PM

Irondude Posted Image motorick426

• irondude

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:30 PM

ahhh yes, the 600/650 site. it used to be such a great place--and this is just such a fitting post to hit 500 with!

"IMHO the best all around Baja bike is a XR400. Reliable as a brick. Can be modded for most SCORE races...i love mine. "

I am sure when he wrote "it can be modded"--that meant all the normal stuff for Baja like a big tank, etc... and depending on your weight, and riding skills, some suspension upgrades. Just FYI- the XR400 does very well with only heavier front springs...unlike the 650R the rear shock isnt prone to overheating (Honda races it with a Kawasaki shock!)--and unlike the 650R the 400 doesnt need a change of fork piston, nor does it need bottoming cones, nor significant pre-load--(thats what your $500+ Precision Concepts upgrade gets ya)

For sure the XR400 doesnt need anywhere near all the suspension upgrades the 650 does.

Just FYI it IS the guys who win all the baja races who have over the years pointed all this out to me.

Sr. Arizona enduro--
LOL....

• drex

Posted March 02, 2005 - 05:35 PM

me too :) :) :p

Wow! Irondude interpreting brrpr, and doing it so well.

What about ice fishing on the 650R? It guess that would be okay. :D :D

• JackAttack

Posted March 02, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Wow! Irondude interpreting brrpr, and doing it so well.

Somebody has too.

All I hear from brrpr is, "blah, blah, blah, Husky, blah, blah blah, Wolf, blah blah, blah, Greatest, blah, blah, blah, Husky,................ :) "

• mikekay

Posted March 02, 2005 - 10:37 PM

brrrpr IS JackAttack?
just a theory!!
:) :) :p :D :D

have you noticed he always responds to brrpr? maybe its like an alter ego thing or something....

gotta go--wife wants to talk about american idol or play poker or something...

and what ever happened to Mainjet? Anyone know what he changed his name to?

• JackAttack

Posted March 03, 2005 - 08:49 AM

brrrpr IS JackAttack?
just a theory!!
:) :) :p :D :D

:D :D

Put a TE in front of my post count, and you might have something there. :o

;)

• Husky_Forever

Posted March 18, 2005 - 01:25 PM

I would have kept my 03 Hon 650R if it hadn't broken the right footpeg at 600+ miles, sending me quickly to the ground. 10 months off healing a broken wrist cured me of my Honda addiction with the PIG. Hearing JC say his footpeg broke during a race making him ride his break pedal for 10 miles was enlightening (an earlier BITD race). Of course his bike that wins and my bike were worlds apart. Seeing his bike up close at Mikes before the 03 Baja 500 was en-lighting. Titanium bolts and nuts everywhere, no kickstand, headlight, coolant recovery, everything done to lower the weight, 680 kit, different pipe, well you get the drift.

The 650 is a 'Good' Baja bike. Is it the best. Not any more I think. Top heavy, but for long ranges it works fine. Like it was designed to do. I'll see how my new, 04 Husky TC 450 handles Baja for the next year. At least I wont have to worry about my footpeg breaking off while riding. :) Steny

• Husky_Forever

Posted March 18, 2005 - 01:46 PM

Justicedone,

Temecula Honda, California, has been campaining an 400 ex with an XR 650 engine now for a couple years in Score and BITD. Works well and was a shoe in fit with just a few new motor mounts. Hauls, but the Bomb 650 DS still hauls on the long straights. Steny

• teamgreen

Posted March 18, 2005 - 01:55 PM

I would have kept my 03 Hon 650R if it hadn't broken the right footpeg at 600+ miles, sending me quickly to the ground. 10 months off healing a broken wrist cured me of my Honda addiction with the PIG. Hearing JC say his footpeg broke during a race making him ride his break pedal for 10 miles was enlightening (an earlier BITD race). Of course his bike that wins and my bike were worlds apart. Seeing his bike up close at Mikes before the 03 Baja 500 was en-lighting. Titanium bolts and nuts everywhere, no kickstand, headlight, coolant recovery, everything done to lower the weight, 680 kit, different pipe, well you get the drift.

The 650 is a 'Good' Baja bike. Is it the best. Not any more I think. Top heavy, but for long ranges it works fine. Like it was designed to do. I'll see how my new, 04 Husky TC 450 handles Baja for the next year. At least I wont have to worry about my footpeg breaking off while riding. :) Steny

Several years back...DH would run away...and EVERYONE-ELSE would race for the other positions left behind for the other non-KX500 riders :)

Then...a Mexican Cop pulls a 180 on THE FREEWAY! Dannys gone...Roeseler's moved on to Trucks...then the Orange Scooters.

Since then...no Green Transporter...no Green Box Vans...no real Race.

Just a Honda against Honda free for all.

This Honda...that Honda.

How about when Men where Men and Baja was run by more than 1 Team.

Dam-that Mexican Cop!

Well....the point?

I'll keep my KXs for the Desert, Thank You...

The Nevada Desert.

My KLX for the runs down to Cabo for Sammy's Birthday.

And my Hondas for Mowin the Lawn :p

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.