Crf 600 X

70 replies to this topic
  • brrpr

Posted February 19, 2005 - 07:43 PM

Kay? Dont make me laugh--that dudes' slow and a looser, cant even catch a plane on time....plus he always crashes out in Felipe.

Bell is to young, needs time to mature. But for sure can hit woops and will be something in the future...plus he'll have some great suspension!

Heng-the-man and his 'partner-in-crime' are gonna be hurtin on the 650R...assuming thats what they ride. Its just not the course for a big heavy bike... But maybe-for sure they have the most experience and are fast fast dudes. The grunt of that bike will help em in the sand washes...

Blaise and Grider on the RFS 540 will have the second best bike (after the Husky!)....and the best chance to beat red. Seems like its time for Orange to score at SCORE--my money is on them to be the fastest--although that dont mean they will win....

The Husky 510 ? well it weighs the same as a CRF250X and has the same power as an uncorked XR650R....if they dont crash out, and the bike handles the stress...it might be a sleeper. Top 10, knock on wood.

Morton will win the 250 class in his triumphant return to the podium--7th overall...assuming the Husky doesnt run them over.... DP racing will give 'em a run for it.

Class 30 will be won by a Mexican team. 4th overall.

Theres gonna be some serious get offs on this race. Lots of pressure on a very harsh harsh harsh harsh course. Everyone knows the early cheater lines..so that 'issue' should be even--and the dry lake has 6 inches of water on it...
I think it will come down to who takes the emergency cheater lines behind the airport at the end..yeah they've done it before...i bet KTM has a 4 minute lead at mile 225 and Honda wins it by 4 minutes at mile 240....if Honda wins 'that way' take a very close look at checkpoint times...or just wait for that ahole Irondude to get on here and start causing a ruckus!

Finally-a secret YZ450 will do very very well.....

• DRZ_Motorsports_119

Posted February 20, 2005 - 02:31 PM

Ok....Im gettin confused...

1.-Is Yamaha racing with the factory team or top notch privateer team in C22 in SF250???
2.-Husky racing the SF250, returning to Dez-racing in baja :) privateer team or factory team???
3.-How is "Iron Dude" testing the CRF600X??????
4.-Tim Morton is gonna win no doubt about it, but who are is teammates??? (rumor say's: mexican kid from ensenada or tijuana that raced the Baja 500)
5.-Rojas/Vega team will win,no competition in C30, nice BMW factory team for baja 500 and future....
6.-KTM will kick ass..........
7.-Watch out for Dempsey/Childress 3x Team, remember the baja 1000 early leaders, if hey have luck on their side will win......
8.-WR660F?????????
9.-Oneal racing 1-1 in C40 and C50....
10.-See you all in san felipe i will be in the start line, watching and learning....

DRZ Motorsports 119

• qadsan

Posted February 20, 2005 - 04:13 PM

...or just wait for that ahole Irondude to get on here and start causing a ruckus!....

The valve clearances tightened up on irondudes CRF600X after 168 miles. He threw a fit, but was quicly taken down by a half dozen red riders :D , then strapped to a stretcher and quickly loaded into a team Honda van for deprogramming :) . Word on the street is it still takes him three syllables to pronounce the word Honda. Here's irondude saying the word Honda (:p....Hon-da-berg). He now rides a Cannondale E440 and is possibly sponsored by Slick50 & Splitfire spark plugs :)

Don't loose sleep on the WR660F. The Yamaha design team in France was goofing with me last year and hinted that a WR660F 2-Trac 'might' appear in this last Dakar, but no dice. Every now and then I throw it out there just to raise some ruckus :D

• brrpr

Posted February 20, 2005 - 06:38 PM

privateer Husky
privateer Yamahas
its true Irondude is now on a Sick50 deal touring cicuses with a monkey and some midget chick from Russia.
Morto is always 'loose lips sink ships' when it comes to baja racin..
Dempsey/Childress
Pinard
Zeller
all have a shot at top 7.

• JackAttack

Posted February 20, 2005 - 11:33 PM

Here's irondude saying the word Honda (:)....Hon-da-berg).

:) :p :D

Yo Mike,

Are you racing SF250? What is your # this year?

:D

• DelTronXR

Posted February 20, 2005 - 11:40 PM

Top inside sources at Yamaha Motor in Cypress have told me that this "600X" will not/may not be in production until 2007 if it ever does occur.

• XR6's_rule

Posted February 21, 2005 - 01:33 AM

I for one would welcome the release of an all-new open classer. I have always loved the power and power delivery of a large displacement engine ie XR600 and would love that power in a lighter, more responsive package with modern suspension and handling which the XR650R FAILED to deliver.

• huntmaster

Posted February 21, 2005 - 07:07 AM

I for one would welcome the release of an all-new open classer. I have always loved the power and power delivery of a large displacement engine ie XR600 and would love that power in a lighter, more responsive package with modern suspension and handling which the XR650R FAILED to deliver.

Honda delivered what was ordered. As an anticipated fourstoke MX bike (pre-CRF) the 650R wasn't the bike many media types were waiting for. It wasn't intended to be. As a replacement for the XR600 (which it was ACTUALLY was) Honda fully delivered. Having had the 600R for five years and now the 650R another five, I can attest to that.The newer bike does just about everything better. Much faster, lighter feeling in the tight stuff, more stable in the fast stuff and equally reliable. Just don't compare either to a 450R for motocross work. Or conversely the 450R to the 650R for open country riding.

Everyone wants to "have their cake and eat it too", but....!
A next generation bike could bring the two worlds closer together, but a 600 will weigh more then a 450 and a 450 will not have the torque of a 600. A 50 hp 450 will be more highly stressed (and fragile) then a 50 hp 600.

• hurricane jonny

Posted February 21, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Very well said Huntmaster. I am currently looking at an 01 650R and I will have to be content with that until something better comes along. I would just like to see an updated version. Lighter, happy button, upgraded suspension.There are very few open class options. TELL HONDA, IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!. :)

• brrpr

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:13 PM

i agree the 650R did a good job of replacing the 600R.

but right about that time the world was shaken with some high performance 4 strokes that have just gotten better and better.

have your cake and eat it to?

My 2005 Husky 510 makes 51 hp stock (and its still corked up!) and weighs 239 dry....same as the 250X. My Husky is what the 600X should strive for. It IS possible to have your cake and eat it to. I've raced the Husky on an MX track (and beat Paul Krauses KTM to the first turn!) and next weekend we will race it in Baja at the SF 250. After pre-running the same course as years past- when i was on the 650R--i can tell ya the lighter Husky with its 21st century suspension, ebutton, torque monster engine and 6 speed tranny will eat the BRP for lunch. Talk about a bike that can do it all--MX, dual sport (bike has optional blinkers and buddy pegs!), desert or enduro (its the enduro champ of europe)....the more i ride this bike--the more i love it.

yeah theres a need for a 600X....KTM sells all the EXC525's it can make. Husky sells all the TE510's it can make--and predicts 20% growth next year...Honda has 650R's from 2004 sitting on dealers floors...
Honda now has some real competition in Baja...when we see Orange taking the awards...that will send the engineers in Tokyo back to the drawing boards...

JackAttack--you comin down to Felipe? wanna pit with us?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted February 22, 2005 - 12:15 AM

JackAttack--you comin down to Felipe? wanna pit with us?

I'm still 50/50 on coming down.

If I make it down, I would like to pre-run with you Thursday and Friday. My buddies will be running a Class 8 truck.

Only thing I need to work out is being back in Phoenix for the National Enduro on Sunday morning.

What day are you heading down to SF?

:)

• XR6's_rule

Posted February 22, 2005 - 03:08 AM

Ok, I admit that it was a sweeping statement for me to say the XR650 failed to deliver as a replacement for the XR600 as the bikes are similar in some ways- large displacement, bulletproof engine and easy maintenance, however I and many other riders believe that Honda didnt deliver in some areas where it could've, these are-

*lighter weight, this was the XR6's biggest downfall and even a 5kg or 15pound lighter bike would've been much easier to handle. As it turned out, the XR650R hit the showrooms a couple of kilos or a few pounds HEAVIER than the XR6.

*Bush/woods riders found that the new bike actually had LESS ground clearance and would case out on obstacles that the 600 did not.

*The bike was problematic in overheating in tight going, as most liquid-cooled bikes are.

*The new, free-er breathing airbox and filter was less waterproof and less efficient in keeping dirt out the carb/engine than an XR600.

*Although the ergos (riding position and seat) are better than the 600, the 650 is a more top-heavy motorcycle thanks to it having radiators.

*Last but certainly not least, I come to fuel consumption. My XR6 always got between 120-150 kms or 70-85 miles before hitting reserve. The best I got with my 650R was 105 kms before hitting reserve which is woeful in my opinion. This is a big consideration for people riding long distance.

This aside, the 650R is certainly a fast and capable dirt bike. Its modern (ish) suspension and aluminium frame lets it hold higher speeds under complete control in fast, whooped terrain where an XR6 would baulk. In open riding, the 650R has no peer. But in the tight it's a different story, I prefer the XR6 where its couple of kilos less, quicker steering, more controllable power and better ground clearance make things flow easier- although its no XR250!

So in short, 650 much better for open riding, but the XR600 was always surprisingly good in tight going for a big bore.

• huntmaster

Posted February 22, 2005 - 07:18 AM

This aside, the 650R is certainly a fast and capable dirt bike. Its modern (ish) suspension and aluminium frame lets it hold higher speeds under complete control in fast, whooped terrain where an XR6 would baulk. In open riding, the 650R has no peer. But in the tight it's a different story, I prefer the XR6 where its couple of kilos less, quicker steering, more controllable power and better ground clearance make things flow easier- although its no XR250!

So in short, 650 much better for open riding, but the XR600 was always surprisingly good in tight going for a big bore.

After five years with the 600, I would never trade the 650 back as much as I liked the old warhorse. The 600 was a good bike but getting very dated by the end, with a flexy frame and an engine being surpassed in HP (but not torque) by the newer 400's coming out by the end of it's reign. Yes, fuel range was the only thing I missed coming from the 600. That 41mm on the 650 really sucks the fuel! However, as for the tight stuff I found the 650 much easier to handle, feeling slimmer, and more flickable, if that can be said for any big fourstroke. Threading through the trees the 600 tired me out much sooner...but either will ultimately. Most other comments I have heard regarding the two seem to concur here and ultimately come down to personal preference I imagine, but either are hardly a tight woods weapon. Still, the 650R was compared favourable to the lighter WR450 in a recent enduro comparison, largely due to the way the bikes carry their weight as opposed to the actual number on the scales...a fact I noticed myself previously riding them back to back. The 600 and 650 both are good all round off-road bikes that can cover every task asked of it, if not excel at every task.

The 650R like the 600 before is now starting to show it's age. Like the 600 before it's a generation older then many of the bikes people are trying to compare it to here. It was developed in the 90's before all the newer 450's and other MX-based designs came to the forefront with light weight and happy buttons....when reliability and preserving the XR reputation for durability was a high priority. Longevity hasn't always been a plus with some of these others and the 650R seems to be enjoying some return to favour based on this alone. Hopefully a next generation 600X can take things to the next level with lighter weight, newer chassis with a few less pounds AND a happy button with big power but without sacraficing reliability as only displacement will let you do!

• iestrada

Posted February 22, 2005 - 04:09 PM

Brrpr, I undestood you'll be racing the 250 in you Husqvarna. Is this right? I just took a peeek to the entry list an didn't saw any Husqvarna, a couple of CRF, some KTM one WR, a bunch of XR. What number you'll be racing?

I'd love to see the husqvarna in action

• qadsan

Posted February 22, 2005 - 04:43 PM

Hmmm...Adelanto is at the same time. I wonder if he's racing Adelanto instead? Why do these races have to be at the same time :)

• JackAttack

Posted February 22, 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hmmm...Adelanto is at the same time. I wonder if he's racing Adelanto instead? Why do these races have to be at the same time :)

I think he did them both last year. The SF250 is on Sat and I think the Adelanto is on Sunday.

...except wardo broke the race bike in San Felipe. :) :p

:D

• DRZ_Motorsports_119

Posted February 22, 2005 - 06:40 PM

Will look foward to see the Husky in race action specially en Baja!!!
But in what class are you racing???
Good Luck and have a safe and fun race......

DRZ Motorsports 119

• brrpr

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:06 PM

yeah the Husky will be racing in Baja! The wolf is being re-introduced to its former habitat...

As normally happens--the race team sort of came together last week... couple guys backed out, a TTer joined forces, its all a bit piece meal right now--but it'll come together...

I will put the steering dampner on tomarow, pick up some handguards on the way down Thursday...not sure who's pitting (havent heard back from the guys who offered!!) -- no spare rear wheel, the stock gas tank, not sure what gearing and for sure the suspension hasnt been sorted out--the bike only has 6 hours on it...

But thats baja racing!

We have all done some serious pre-running and the bike screams...so we have a chance of a respectable finish.

class 40. We will sign up Friday. 449X will probably be the number...this will be the shake down race for the bike...and we will need luck to beat Jim O Neil...but still on this course the light and fast Husky will have some real advantages. Right now it looks like there are 7 teams we cant beat, 5-6 that are equal and it will just depend on who's day it is.

Jack come on down and drive back after the race! I will be at Rice and Beans on Friday at Noon -- the Husky will be parked in front. Then we will do some final pre-running of the first 50 miles...stay with us at the house in Santa Maria!

• huntmaster

Posted February 23, 2005 - 04:50 PM

I'd love to see the husqvarna in action

I would love to see one in a showroom of an actual dealer. They sound awesome from what I'm hearing ...I wish someone was selling them in my parts!

• JackAttack

Posted February 23, 2005 - 10:27 PM

Jack come on down and drive back after the race! I will be at Rice and Beans on Friday at Noon -- the Husky will be parked in front. Then we will do some final pre-running of the first 50 miles...stay with us at the house in Santa Maria!

I'll have to take a rain-check (literally). Thanks for the offer and good luck. I have my boys in the class 8 truck looking out for "The Wolf". :)

Maybe you will catch a glimpse of Irondude testing the CRF600X....I hear he only rides it under the cover of darkness though. Some say that on a very dark, quiet night, down in baja, you can hear the faint sound of the big CRF600 thumper....with Irondude screaming "HON-DA-BERRRRRRRRG"

:)

:p

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.