2 stroke wont rev high??

10 replies to this topic
  • cardiffdrz

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

My sons PW80 won't rev very high no mater in gear or not, it just splutter when it gets to the higher end, this happens just about at half throttle. Bike is completely stock straight out of the box. Any ideas guys Thanks in advance :)

• velosapiens

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:27 PM

sputtering makes it sound rich. try going 1 size smaller on the main jet and see if that helps. if it's rich enough to not rev high it might need a couple sizes smaller, if that's the problem.

make sure the air filter isn't overoiled too, and there's nothing blocking the intake.

• Dirtriding4life

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:55 PM

I know the perfect solution. Get him a TTR90. :) You might want to mess with the jetting and go leaner, but Yamaha makes most of their bikes to be uncorked, so I would try that then re-jetting. It would probably make the problem worse, but uncorking and going a couple sizes smaller should be the happy middle.

• wrenduro450

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:59 PM

Pull the exhaust off and look in the neck of it. if it has a washer with a small hole in it discard that and it should run better. PW80 never rev'd up anyway but if that washer is in there it is a :) :) . Good luck

• wildo

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:00 PM

my guees is your carb is flooding or your air filt. is cloged if its been runing good before. is is idleing? it could be ignition timing as well.

• Eric_F

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:01 PM

I've had that problem in 2 stroke engines....not in motorcycles, but repairing small engines...that a crappy, worn out, or super fouled plug can cause this.

Just my .02

~Eric

• cardiffdrz

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:02 PM

sorry guys, i should have said i already took that washer out of the head pipe :) and it has been like this since it came from santa brand new in december so i am guessing it is a set up problem rather than something broken.

I am not sure what going up/down sizes means, in hands on how to do it stuff. i know it is the jetting in the carb, but i am just repeating that parrot fashion i don't know what to actually change on the carb :)

• gregwr450f

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:46 PM

It may have 3 months warranty on it , take it back yo your dealer and let them worry it, but it may just be it needs more time to run in as I had this problem with my daughters Pee Wee 80, it took about 3 tanks of fuel before it would rev to a decent level and remember it's not a yz 80 so don't expect it to run like one :)

• beer_studd_76

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:48 PM

My sons PW80 won't rev very high no mater in gear or not, it just splutter when it gets to the higher end, this happens just about at half throttle. Bike is completely stock straight out of the box. Any ideas guys Thanks in advance :)

you're jetted too rich or there's an intake/exhaust obstruction (which richens jetting)

• RickyD

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:57 PM

is the choke on??

• cardiffdrz

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:05 AM

Ok, seems jetting is the way to go 1st, thanks for all the input guys :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1986 honda xr250r rebuild! by Dirt-Mink

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

are 2000 -2003 yz 125 cylinders then same? by dawson1120

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

A father following his son's PW50 by DirtDevilDad

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 CR125 fork oil capacity by J.Tomasello

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Will KX450F wheels fit my 04 kx250 by KawiRider98

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.