shiny flakes in the oil filter

6 replies to this topic
  • doctorchopper

Posted February 17, 2005 - 10:40 AM

I just changed the oil filter in my new to me 01 wr426 and noticed a small amount of shinny metal flakes, they are non magnetic and very small, is this normal?

• Frostbite

Posted February 17, 2005 - 11:22 AM

I just changed the oil filter in my new to me 01 wr426 and noticed a small amount of shinny metal flakes, they are non magnetic and very small, is this normal?

I have a 99 and I still get metal flakes. They all seem to do it. I'm not exactly sure where the flakes are coming from but somethings gotta be getting smaller in there.

• doctorchopper

Posted February 17, 2005 - 12:02 PM

Thats what I thought, as long as they are small and non magnetic I don't think there is anything to worry about. Does any one clean their old oil filters, I have access to a ultrasonic cleaner at work, we use it to clean oil filters for helicopters, I figure if its good enough for choppers, should work on dirtbikes

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted February 17, 2005 - 12:20 PM

My theory (IMHO), is that for older, well used bikes, it comes from a deteriorating con-rod big-end bearing. I had flakes (bad) prior to my bigbore/crank rebuild upgrade, and don't any more - ~3000 miles since the upgrade.

• Eric_F

Posted February 17, 2005 - 12:23 PM

I seemed to get less and less ater break in--when I switched to synthetic oil. The amount of flakes each change has become less and less, and is virtually nonexistant now.

~Eric

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 17, 2005 - 12:44 PM

Funny, my 05 is the first WR of mine not to have any flakes... Nada one.... Weird.. :)

• 5valve

Posted February 17, 2005 - 02:02 PM

if metal and not magnetic, they are alu particles
so whats alu in the engine and under pressure? sth around clutch maybe, had not had mine open yet :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.