01 YZ426 Hard starting when cold

4 replies to this topic
  • Steve W

Posted February 17, 2005 - 12:53 AM

My 01 YZ426 is hard to start cold. I have to go through several rounds of kicking it with the choke in and out before it will run steadily. Usually it goes like this: pull choke out, kick a few times,push choke in and it will start, run and stall. Go through this a few more times and it will remain running. (Always starts first kick when hot and runs great otherwise. Have tried starting with no choke when dead cold, but no luck) Thanks.

• buck_y_lee

Posted February 17, 2005 - 01:21 AM

Try either one or two twists of the throttle before kicking, or kick a couple of times with the decompression lever pulled. Then continue normal cold start (choke) routine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted February 17, 2005 - 05:36 AM

My 01 YZ426 is hard to start cold. I have to go through several rounds of kicking it with the choke in and out before it will run steadily. Usually it goes like this: pull choke out, kick a few times,push choke in and it will start, run and stall. Go through this a few more times and it will remain running. (Always starts first kick when hot and runs great otherwise. Have tried starting with no choke when dead cold, but no luck) Thanks.

What is the outside Tempature by you right now?? Is it cold outside? Kinda sounds like it. In cold temps it will run lean. Install a larger Starter Jet (Not the pilot jet) It will start easier. What you describes is a lean choke circuit. My YZ400 does he same thing in the winter before I rejet it.

• skthom2320

Posted February 17, 2005 - 04:57 PM

Just turn the fuel screw out (no more than 2.5 turns total) for a richer pilot circuit. Cold temps need slightly richer jetting for starting.

If you go more than 2.5 turns out, then put in a larger PILOT jet. The fuel screw is just a fine adjustment to the pilot circuit where the pilot jet is the coarse adjustment.

• Steve W

Posted February 17, 2005 - 05:27 PM

Thanks to everyone for advice on cold starting problem. Will try the simple solutions first and if they don't work, move on to the harder ones. As far as temperature goes, I'm guessing 25-45 degrees F. during those times Ive attempted a cold start. Still love the bike either way!
Steve W.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.