Old Gas?

3 replies to this topic
  • Eliems

Posted February 16, 2005 - 10:41 PM

I used up a can of premium gas today, filling the tanks of my wr250 and wr450. The gas was purchased last fall (September I think) and remained in the plastic gas can in my shed.

Someone told me I should drain that gas out before it gums up my carbs as gas over three months old separates.

Both bikes seem to run perfectly on this fuel, should I drain this gas or just carry on?

Thnx

• Eric_F

Posted February 16, 2005 - 11:03 PM

I'd say it's still fine, I start to worry about 6mo. Metal keeps gas better longer than plastic as well, imo.

~Eric

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted February 17, 2005 - 04:11 AM

3 months is it for gas without a stabilizer. Drain it and dump it in your car. Always drain your float bowl if storing the bike for a few weeks or month to avoid gumming up the carb jets. :)

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 17, 2005 - 06:40 AM

Well, you can go up to a year comfortably, but it will have lost a little bit of its ooomph, but you wont notice it unless you race! Anything over a year, get some fuel stabilizer. Obtain it from any parts store. Sta-Bil is one brand name, there is others. Home Depot has it int he lawnmower section near their servcie parts area. But a different brand, ie Arnold. Just as good. I had an outboard motor with 8 year old fuel, and it worked great!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.