WR450 Battery Charge Port

22 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:29 PM

I am considering installing a permenant connector on my bike so I can plug a small battery charger in without having to remove the seat.
Has anyone done this?
Thinking about a nice rugged bulkhead 2 pin connector with a cap that can handle the abuse.
I usually disconnect the hot leads from the battery post before charging.
I'm curious if the electrical system would be affected if a charger was running across the battery without disconnecting the bike wiring. Thats assuming the bike power is off.
Any thoughts?

• ddialogue

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:34 PM

I am considering installing a permenant connector on my bike so I can plug a small battery charger in without having to remove the seat.
Has anyone done this?
Thinking about a nice rugged bulkhead 2 pin connector with a cap that can handle the abuse.
I'm curious if the electrical system would be affected if a charger was running across the battery without disconnecting the bike wiring. Thats assuming the bike power is off.
Any thoughts?

For $50 you can get the Battery Tender which has a mating connector and terminals to permanently connect to your motorcycle battery. A lot of guys use this on their WR's without any issues. :)

Check it out:
Posted Image

• Outrace

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:38 PM

I have a two pin rig mounted in a small project case attached to the rear underside of the rear fender. I can send pics sometime tomorrow if you need them.

I just use a simple 300ma powerpack/charger to maintain the batt. I have one of these for every bike in my garage.

• clark4131

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Go to the Powerlet website...http://www.powerletp..._frontpanel.php...and get the panel kit and Battery Tender adapter plug. It has everything you need to install a weather-proof BMW-style power outlet with a direct connection to the battery. A Battery Tender will plug right into the outlet and maintain the charge. I installed two on my streetbike and they work like a charm. It's a very clean system and you can even run a heated vest off of it for cold weather riding. For around $50 you can't beat it IMO...SC

• ETP

Posted February 17, 2005 - 06:26 AM

Thanks guys,
I wasn't aware the battery tender came with a permanent connector. Those look like standard barrel connector pins so you could plug in a helmet light while riding. Cool.
Outrace, what charger are you using? Is it a Battery Tender?

• Domenic_WRF

Posted February 17, 2005 - 09:36 AM

Anyone use the battery tender Jr.? just wondering, need to but two.. :)

• thumper_dad

Posted February 17, 2005 - 10:12 AM

After seeing this thread I went ahead and ordered a Tender, I seen the JR model Dom but didnt even look to see what it looked like or cost.
Sorry

rich

• Outrace

Posted February 17, 2005 - 03:42 PM

Outrace, what charger are you using? Is it a Battery Tender?

Nope, it's just an accessory charger I had around the house for a cell phone or video camera or something. It's rated 12 VDC @ 300mA. I use another at 500mA for my R1 and a 1000 mA unit for my FJR1300.

You know the type I'm talking about ...... little black box that plugs into the wall with thin wires and a coaxial plug at the end.

• Gadsen

Posted February 17, 2005 - 04:05 PM

Has anyone done this?
Any thoughts?

Been there, done it. I have ports on everything I own with a 12v battery, including my riding lawnmower. I bought the Parts Unlimited charger from Dennis Kirk (does 6 and 12 volts, perfect as I have 2 trail 90's) and I just plug it in the night before a ride and maybe about 8 hours evey 6 weeks if it sets. The charger comes with a pigtail and you can buy extras. I ended up with 2 of these chargers and gobs of pigtails. One of the pigtaisl I just soldered on battery charger clips so I can use it to even charge a battery on the bench.

Here is the link http://www.denniskir...equestid=103606 and there in the desription is the number for extra pigtaisl. Get enough pigtail plus 2 more!

• basicblues

Posted February 17, 2005 - 06:55 PM

This is a "must have" project for those of us keeping the electric start. Here's photo's my setup, I routed the plug out the sidecover vent, plug tucks neatly inside when not in use. I just purchased the battery charger that's listed on the Yamaha website for 20% off list, works great...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted February 17, 2005 - 07:21 PM

I have the same set up except I put my plug is located in the intake boot/ rear shock opening on the bike. It works well. :)

• ETP

Posted February 18, 2005 - 06:27 AM

Sounds like the Battery Tender is the "Out of the box" solution.
Thanks again for the ideas guys. :)

• eruption

Posted February 18, 2005 - 09:03 PM

I was in Pep Boys today and noticed that they carry the Battery Tender Jr. for $29.99. They also had the regular Battery Tender but I didn't catch the price. I have the Jr and it works great. I run the cord out of the left side of the bike just behind the carb.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 18, 2005 - 09:26 PM

Battery Tender is a must for our little batteries! :)

• 450high

Posted February 19, 2005 - 02:49 AM

I also use the battery tender.I also carry a lead with with clips so i can jump my mates bikes if they get a flat battery.This has saved a lot of hard work many a time.I just bought a plug that fits the bike side lead then put short cables and clips on it then carry it around in my bum bag.

• Robert_Brazil

Posted February 20, 2005 - 10:46 AM

In the country where I live a Battery Tender is unfortunately very expensive (US$150) so I would like to try the alterative using a standard Accessory Charger. You say 300mA with 12V outlet, that sounds great. Questions:
1) How do you connect (wiring diagram) the charger to the battery ++ -- or +- +-?
2) Do you connect the accesory charger the night before you ride, or you just leave it all the time on. My bike sometimes sits in the garage for 3 weeks, no problem?

• Beef

Posted February 20, 2005 - 09:49 PM

1) The plus on the supply should go to the plus on the battery, and the minus to the minus.

2) You can leave it connected all the time as long as it's only 12 volts. Fast charge is 13.8 volts, and constantly puts current into the battery. A 12 volt source will virtually stop sourcing all current when the battery reaches full charge.

Your best bet is to listen and feel the battery and supply after the supply has been connected for a few minutes. Unless the battery is dead, or very low, neither should get hot. After the supply has been connected for several hours, they should BOTH be cold/room temp.

• stealman

Posted February 21, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Can anyone tell me the differance between the battery tender jr. and the larger one? Is it the speed of the charge? Will the Jr. do the job?

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 21, 2005 - 09:22 AM

The Jr is actually ideal for the job. The .75 amp charge rate is right in line with the battery manufacturers recommended rate. I use a Jr on my 450 as well as my dual sport and quad. It does a great job on all three.

• powerlet

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:51 AM

For your ride, installing either a standard battery tender lead which is the 2-pin SAE is the least expensive alternative. If you plan on using this port to operate more appliances, you may seek a different connector.
Also, when evaluating what you wish to run on your platform, you may wish to review the vehicles excess electrical capacity in advance so there are not questions when you start thinking about operating or auxiliary lighting etc.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.