shims....

2 replies to this topic
  • NAFLASH

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:25 PM

Well i got the auto decomp cam today, i put it in i started to shim it. This is my question, when shiming the valves how much resistence should there be when i slide the feeler gauge in?. The reason i ask is because when i put in a .25mm feeler gauge there is some resistence in it, i cant move it up and down at all while its in between the shim and cam lobe and it feels like theres enough resistence to not have to get shims and it still feels good when i put a .20mm gauge in too. After reading all the posts and 95% had to get new shims im wondering if i should just buy the next size up(195). My dad checked them and he said they should be fine. BTW both valves feel the same way and left side has 189, right side has a 188.

Any opinions are appreciated

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzfxr

Posted February 16, 2005 - 11:20 PM

there should be a "light drag" on the feeler, but that can be interpreted differently.
use the largest feeler you can get in there comfortably, you shouldn't have to force it in though. so if a .25 fits snug, but a .30 won't fit, then the clearance is .25. it won't always be an exact clearance, thats what the tolerances are for.

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2005 - 11:44 PM

Try a .26 gauge. That should be a "no go". If you don't have one, remember that the .20-.25mm spec is roughly equal to .008-.010", so you could use an .011" gauge to check this.

The feel is an acquired thing. The gauge should glide smoothly without sticking for catching as you pull it on the minimum reading, but not so freely on the max that it won't stay in place when you let go of it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.