First Ride on the wr 426

11 replies to this topic
  • NewBlue

Posted February 16, 2005 - 06:02 PM

Finally got to ride today. It was very sloppy wet in many places; however, I had a great time. I am 32, and I haven't had a dirt bike since I was about 14. I took it pretty easy today since this sled requires some respect. After about an hour of break in, I cracked the throttled to wide open. I was very pleased with the response. This bike rocks. I stalled it a few times , but with a little more use of the clutch :) I only rode for about 2 hours, and my hands were cramping and such. My body has some adjusting to do. This sled is just right. I plan on putting about 2-6 more hours on it before I change the oil, then she will only be using the Motul 300v. I order that stuff by the case. There was a little water in my airbox drain thing. I may need to put that flap thing in if I ride in the water again. I have the Boyesen Quickshot, the grey wire mod, the air box mod, and the muffler has that tiny a*s insert removed. All that I can say is: What a great bike.

• TeamScream

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:08 PM

right on brother!

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 17, 2005 - 10:12 AM

Picking mine up tonight. :)

I'll post a report after 1st ride!

• Math

Posted February 17, 2005 - 06:59 PM

Never had the chance to talk to you before so welcome on TT!

Congrats on your new bike! I own a '01 426 since 2002 and I love it!

Some of the best things you can do include getting in better shape (cardio + stretching) so you can raise your level to what the bike is ready for.... well in fact, chances are you'll never be able to exploit half of what this bike has to offer (not trying to denigrate you but unless you are a pro racer... :) ) so from now on you are the limiting factor :) But being the limiting factor does not feel that bad isn't it? :p

Seriously, make oil changes frequently, have the valves checked as soon as possible and things should be alright.

To protect you and your bike you can think of rad guards, skid plate, and alu hand guards. You won't regret it. :D

Next year, I'm trying the YZ tank/seat combo, YZ timing and FMF powercore IV pipe. I just can't wait for summer to come :D

Later,

• NewBlue

Posted February 17, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the kinds words. I ordered a bunch of different things from the TT store on Monday and it all came in today. Included in that order was my fav., the motul 300v. I had ordered a Billy Who Man Funnel as well, so I decided to change the oil this afternoon. The bike has 21 miles on it, and about two hours of ride time. I don't know if water got into the oil somehow or what, but the oil that I drained out looked kind of grey. There was nothing in the strainer, but there were tons of metal shavings on the filter. I kicked it over a few times while draining, and tons of additional oil came out. I still need some hand guards. I put the Devol Rad guards on (man were they a pain). I installed some frame guards as well. I installed a zip-ty magnetic drain bolt. I bought one from them, and one from moose. The zip-ty had a much larger and stronger magnet. I installed a freshly oiled uni air filter as well. I lock-tited much of the Devol stuff that I installed. I figured that this machine was capable of wiggling a few bolts loose. I have nothing but Hondas until last year. I think that the Yamaha product appears to made competently as well. As far as cardio goes, I am quite lacking. I think that I started breathing hard when I spelled cardio. I have an incredible trek 5200 that would love to stretch its legs, so maybe I shall start riding it as well. I didn't take the plug out yet to examine it, but I shall do so soon. Thanks and nice to meet ya.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted February 18, 2005 - 12:02 AM

Never had the chance to talk to you before so welcome on TT!

Congrats on your new bike! I own a '01 426 since 2002 and I love it!

Some of the best things you can do include getting in better shape (cardio + stretching) so you can raise your level to what the bike is ready for.... well in fact, chances are you'll never be able to exploit half of what this bike has to offer (not trying to denigrate you but unless you are a pro racer... :) ) so from now on you are the limiting factor ;) But being the limiting factor does not feel that bad isn't it? :o

Seriously, make oil changes frequently, have the valves checked as soon as possible and things should be alright.

To protect you and your bike you can think of rad guards, skid plate, and alu hand guards. You won't regret it. :)

Next year, I'm trying the YZ tank/seat combo, YZ timing and FMF powercore IV pipe. I just can't wait for summer to come :D

Later,

Math, if you've been riding your WR since '02 with WR timing, you're gonna think you got a new bike when you swap to YZ timing. :p Also, the YZ seat/tank makes a big difference. It lets you move forward WAAAAY more, you'll love it. Those two mod's have been probably the best time/money i've spent on my 426.
BTW, New Blue, welcome to TT, and enjoy your WR426, they're a great bike. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NuckingFuts

Posted February 18, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Well I got it, but man is thing a bear to start!!!
I think Ive read every thread about how to start this thing but I still couldnt get it lit w/o compression starting it (which took a truck to tow my butt). :)

Oh well, practice makes perfect. :)

• NewBlue

Posted February 18, 2005 - 05:21 PM

just find where the compression stroke starts, then pull in the decompression lever, then kick the started down about 2 inches, let it come back to the top, and give it a full kick. I always start it with the choke on when cold, and the hot start on when warm. I hardly ever use more than one or two kicks to get it started. If it stalls when warm, then it takes me a few more tries with the hot start on. Once ya have it down, its a piece of cake.

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 18, 2005 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, thats exactly what Im doing. Ive always started my dirt or street bikes with clutch pulled in. Are you guys doing this as well.........standard procedure but I figured Id ask. :)

I have a strong feeling the plug is fouled so as soon as I change it I bet Im in business.

• Sylvain

Posted February 18, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Glad you like it :)

It only gets better :)

• NewBlue

Posted February 18, 2005 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, maybe so. I love this bike's ability to just rip it up. I have no idea why I want a Yoshi exhaust for it. It pretty much has me thinking about my mortality when I let it open up. Maybe it just the dirt biker addiction; the quest for more power.

• 1rkcooper

Posted February 19, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Dubach racing used to have a link to Yamaha that had videos on starting the 400 and 426. Awsome bikes, I just wish I could afford the button. If I find the link I will post it.

Ok Here it is. This made a great difference to me when I bought my WR400.
http://www.yamaha-mo..._stroke_fr.html

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.