Starving for Knowledge

3 replies to this topic
  • Red_Beard

Posted August 09, 2001 - 05:33 PM

I recently bought a 01 wr426, cut the screw pulled out the silencer and airbox cover. I am real close to swappin to yz timing but i am also interested in low end. i went down one size in my front sprocket and i really like the change. my question is if go to yz timing will i loose my recently aquired low end? or are there other combinations out there that work?

• Jerry57

Posted August 09, 2001 - 06:02 PM

The general consensus among the posts I have read is that you will lose a small amount of power at the low RPM end, gain significant mid-range power and lose some engine brake effect throughout the range.

Old Guy on WR400F following the KX_kid through the harrowing desert of Idaho at breakneck speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Michael

Posted August 09, 2001 - 09:52 PM

I too held off doing the YZ timing thing a long time for the same reasons as you. I was wrong. I did the timing change and cut the grey wire a couple of weeks ago, and love the difference! Did some steep rough trails last week and noticed no significant loss of low end - but a very nice improvement - a crisp snap - from mid range on up. I had more than one situation where I lost speed and had to just power on up the hill (did just a touch of clutch) - it did great. I think it is a great change, making the bikes awesome powerband even more complete.

You might think about the stock 14 tooth counter with a 52 tooth rear. Seemed to be the right change for my riding style (old and slow).

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 08-10-2001).]

• mcarp

Posted August 10, 2001 - 05:18 AM

I too was worried about the low end. Don't worry! the YZ timing hsa plenty of low end.
I noticed no difference in power at the extreme low end, yet after appx 3,000 rpms it's a BIG change. BRAAAAAPPPP!!!! instead of BRRRRRRRRRAAP.

It doesn't crawl at extremely low RPMS's as well (I mean idling with the clutch out), but that's a rare occasion anyway.

I see no negatives for me, I'm primary an eastern trail rider. The YZ timing seems to start easier, too!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.