Directional Tires?

3 replies to this topic
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:13 AM

Yesterday I pulled my rear Michelin X11 Trials tire off the XR650R. That was the tire I was concerned about during the Saddle Mt. ride cause there was a split the entire width of the tread. We thought we couldn't see the innertube so assumed that it did not go all the way through. Boy was I blessed that day, I never got a flat. The split did go all the way through and there was a 3 inch split though which I could see daylight. The innertub actually had a brown line on it the color of the soil we were riding on. That tire has been like this for two different rides. The tire went flat and we replaced the tube in the tire when we rode the Green Dots 2 weeks ago. We didn't see the split in the tire that day.

I also noticed that the X11 is a directional tire and that I had mounted it in the wrong direction. I put about 500 miles on the tire, when Roy gave the tire to me he said he had put 800 miles on it. Now I'm wondering if I had paid attention to the fact that it is a directional tire, would it have lasted longer? (I realize 1300 miles isn't bad) Does anyone know anything about directional tires and what it does to them to mount them in the wrong direction? Inquiring minds need to know.

• udhawg

Posted February 16, 2005 - 03:51 PM

I can't answer your question but would like to know what front tire you are using with the X-11? I am seriously considering the X-11 for the rear but not sure if I want to stay with a knobby or maybe the X-11 up front also.

Jim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted February 16, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Directional tires have their tread designed to more efficiently squeeze out water and channel it in a specific direction to further minimize the chance of hydroplaning. Also, the treads can be designed as self cleaning and to maximize wear, cornering, etc. I 'think' the main purpose besides water shedding on the street and possibly self cleaning is to have a reference mark on tire so it can be remounted in the same direction to avoid unusual wear patterns that might contribute to reduced braking or cornering performance, or shorter tread life, etc, if they were not mounted in the same direction.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 16, 2005 - 08:22 PM

I can't answer your question but would like to know what front tire you are using with the X-11? I am seriously considering the X-11 for the rear but not sure if I want to stay with a knobby or maybe the X-11 up front also.

Jim

Im using an X11 front tire also and so far am quite happy with them. The only real complaint I have seen others have concerning the front is 1) They may get flats easier due to how soft they are. I believe if you keep your pressure up a bit that will be less likely to happen. 2) some feel they slide out from under you in the corners. I have found the opposite to be true. They stick better than any front I've used to date. Keep in mind I am not a Motocross racer but a trail and desert rider not racer. Going fast is something I do every time I ride but not the majority of the ride. I could not class myself a fast rider. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.