Which Brush Guards for a 650R?

15 replies to this topic
  • icebat

Posted February 16, 2005 - 07:18 AM

I just bought some Wacker guards and they don't clear the levers and the plastic didn't offer as much coverage as I thought it would? Does anyone out there that rides in the desert have any suggestions for avoiding the thorns?

• jws

Posted February 16, 2005 - 08:08 AM

i like the cycra pro bends

• BoZerk

Posted February 16, 2005 - 08:24 AM

I like the stockers.

They work great for the desert deflecting the occasional bush.

• redmanrandyed

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:28 AM

I just recently put on the Acerbis Rally Pro handguards and found that they did not offer as much hand\knuckle protection as I had hoped. I then put on the spoilers that are sold seperately. Coverage is great and it looks good too!
http://www.rockymoun...tv?pid=00005015

• TimBrp

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:29 AM

If you're looking for the best protection than get the Acerbis Pro Rally guards. If you're looking for minimal protection and flexibility go with a different brand. As to the cycra comment: I tried them and found them to be brittle. Broke the second ride out. I can't tell you how many time the Acerbis have saved my steed from bent bars, and crash wounds. Really a good brand.

• bikemadtim

Posted February 16, 2005 - 12:45 PM

Yes I have the Acerbis pro rally guards, they work well.

Can't really see very well in this picture.............

http://img2.imageven...3_1_05_pic5.JPG

• ThunderChicken

Posted February 16, 2005 - 02:16 PM

the stock hand guards work the best in the desert.

• JackAttack

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:07 PM

As to the cycra comment: I tried them and found them to be brittle. Broke the second ride out.

I broke my Cycra's in the first few weeks of having them.

I replaced them with a used pair of Maier(?) with custom shields. They are still hangin on.

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brrpr

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:49 PM

another vote for stock for desert stuff.

maybe woods guys need some aluminum for those tree wacks, but creosote, cholla cactus and mesquite will be tamed by the OEM units...plus the wrap arounds have draw backs.

they can break your wrist. they can come un-done. they are a bit confineing, they can get deformed...some wont clear your levers, etc. etc.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 16, 2005 - 10:35 PM

I use the original Bark Buster aluminum bars with Maier or UFO full wrap plastics. Never broke a lever, my hands never get hit and on cold days the wind does not hit my hands. Can't ask for more than that. :)

• TimBrp

Posted February 17, 2005 - 04:16 AM

another vote for stock for desert stuff.
...plus the wrap arounds have draw backs.

they can break your wrist. they can come un-done. they are a bit confineing, they can get deformed...some wont clear your levers, etc. etc.

I can't agree with you more. I sprained my wrist pretty bad last season due to the wrap-around style. Got my fingers caught between the clutch lever and the guard. I was down for 5 weeks....not good. However, they've saved me more times than hurt me. In New england you gotta weigh those statistics carefully..

• frankstr

Posted February 17, 2005 - 05:24 AM

Acerbis rally pro's with the levers shortend,Workin great :)

• HooliKen

Posted February 17, 2005 - 07:12 AM

I use Endura Engineering quards and so far so good. Even using stock length levers.

• Miker

Posted February 17, 2005 - 08:24 AM

I will buy your broken, damaged, pos Cycras!

• sportbiker929

Posted February 17, 2005 - 09:15 AM

I have used many different brands throughout the years and have found Cycras to be by far the best. People will say whatever.

Get what you like.

:)

• jws

Posted February 17, 2005 - 09:34 AM

I will buy your broken, damaged, pos Cycras!

Yeah I could use the bar mount on the right side also if anyone has an extra Cycra mounts they would like to sell :D

I ran the Acerbis rally pro's till they were so beat up I had to change them out. the rally pro's did take a few levers out when I crashed because the aluminum they use bends real easy maybe thats why i never broke em - would just bend them back and go. I would probally still have them if I could of changed the plastic out :) . I did have to use short levers also because the sit pretty close to the controlls.

I like the big plastic cups the Cycra pro's have and you can change the plastic out for $14 from the TT store. You can use the stock levers also because there is a lot more room in the controll area - To be honest I did break my Cycra pro's the first time down :D but I also broke the rear fender off,the right side plate, kick stand and my leg had to have a couple of screws put in it :)

I am going to stick with the Cycra pro's - I am just not going to crash anymore :p

Good Luck,

Jeff

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.