Radiator Caps

1 reply to this topic
  • ricky1

Posted August 09, 2001 - 04:34 PM

I have seen several questions regarding overheating lately. Many of the replies have said, simply get a cap with a higher PSI rating.
I once asked about the drawbacks to this simple remedy, and was told the higher pressure would be harder on the cooling system in general. This answer is a bit to vague for my experience.
Will someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks Much

Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01
'81 490 Maico

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted August 10, 2001 - 05:59 AM

Yes, it's true. Anytime you add pressure in a closed system there *will* be an added amount of stress placed on that system. Here's my theory: the weakest part of the cooling system is going to inevitably be the hoses. If a hose splits, I'll get a new one. If two strokes have systems running the same pressure, using the same hoses, then logic says the hoses won't split, right? If you're worried that the water jackets might not be built for it, well, have no fear...metal is much more resilient to pressure than a rubber hose. Furthermore, I've had excellent luck with my system using a KX500 cap (1.6 vs. 1.1)and no reservoir. Another thing to think about is that a lower pressure system will boil prior to a higher pressure system, thereby *reducing* the heat transfer capabilities. I'd rather risk blowing a hose than having my water pump try to pump vapor.

'98 WR400, S-3B Viking

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.