2 Wheel drive, Is it actually for real?

10 replies to this topic
  • Crabtree426

Posted February 15, 2005 - 06:57 PM

Many of you probably saw the article in Dirt Rider magazine this winter on the 2 wheel drive prototype WR. While the idea has been around awhile, it actually looks like the set-up made for it might work. Has anyone heard any new rumors or news?

• Frostbite

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:06 PM

Google man, Google!
You can buy one right now from the cycle broker link on this site, he imports them from Europe.

• ISBB

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:08 PM

it won dakar so why not sell it...

• jaybird67k

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:16 PM

Well it certainly isn't a new concept, especially for Yamaha, I remember in the mid to late '80's Yamaha running a 2 wheel drive prototype YZ 250 in some European GP's, or at least testing them at some of the European tracks............can't remember for sure.
At any rate, it's been around for a long time.

Later, Jason

• 05WhyZ250F

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:17 PM

austrailian yamaha motor corp has it i hope it comes to the states

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nicholas426

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:29 PM

It is really cool but I still like the way things are right now. Let's face, there is nothing like a rear-wheel drive car or bike for that matter. I love having the power to break the rear wheel(s) free and trying to control it. I'll take a rear-wheel drive car over any of the all-wheel drive cars (WRX, Porsche). http://www.thumperta...7753&noquote=1#
Thumbs Up

• Nicholas426

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Ignore the link, that was a mistake.

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:42 PM

It's for real and it's SWEET! I can't WAIT to try one myself! Not looking forward to the increased maintenance, but hey it's got to be fun to ride!

• yz400fl1

Posted February 15, 2005 - 08:26 PM

Try this site: www.christini.com

They have both mountain bikes and dirtbikes.

• ThrakenH04

Posted February 15, 2005 - 09:15 PM

just a question, if two out of the two wheels are spinning, then how would you be able to rotate your bike in the air considering the fact that when you whack the throttle, both wheels spin. I seriously hope AWD doesnt hit big for us motocross guys. I like roosting the people behind me thank you.

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 16, 2005 - 08:24 AM

Do some research on the 2trac model. It has been discussed in the WR forums.

Only 15% of the power max can be transmitted to the front wheel.
The bike is a $4500 option on top of the price of a new WR at the time of the press release. Limited production for the states.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.