Question about WR400

20 replies to this topic
  • pb1963

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:49 AM

While shopping around for a different bike I stumbled onto a '99 WR400 with low miles, still has original tires. The guy wants $3700 for it, sounds a little pricey for a 99 what do you guys think?

I sold a BRP to downsize to a smaller lighter bike, will a 400 have enough power to haul me around. I'm about 260 with gear on. I'm basically a casual trail rider, maybe a fast C guy. I've ridden YZ 426's and a YZ 400 a couple of times but I know the WR is kind of a different animal if it doesn't have the YZ timing. Thanks for any info in advance.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 15, 2005 - 08:27 AM

That's crazy expensive..... I've been looking for a bike for a friend of mine last week, we ended up buying a 2002 DRZ400 with a pipe and bars, still with original tires, the think looks new.. We paid 3000.00 There are tons of good used bikes out there, don't settle! Find a good deal, 3700 for a 6 year old dirtbike is too much.. IMO

Dan

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted February 15, 2005 - 09:09 AM

it will be fine. I just sold a california plated 1999 wr 400 for $3000

• tgodwin

Posted February 15, 2005 - 10:37 AM

I paid $3500 for a very nice plated 99 WR400. When I was looking $3500 was pretty much the going price in California for a plated bike. Mine has WB e-seires exhaust, baja kit (plated, duh), new tires, IMS baja tank, YZ seat, etc...

I'd say no more than $3500, I thought that was steep at the time, but I'm very happy with it now.

Good luck.

Here's a link to the photo of my bike, 1999 WR 400

• woodsk

Posted February 15, 2005 - 11:12 AM

The WR400 should have plenty of power, but at 3700 I think you could get a newer 450. In november I paid 4000 for an '04 WR450

• jchantzWR400F

Posted February 15, 2005 - 11:17 AM

$3700 would be a bit much. I would say no more than $3200.

• Oasis_Flame

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:14 PM

My 01' 426 with 1500 miles on it was two years old when I paid 3k. Of couse when I was offered the deal, I didn't waste any time finding my check book. :)

• tntmo

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:33 PM

I got a plated 1999 WR400 right before Christmas for $2400 on Ebay. Anything over $3000.....I'd wait for a better deal to come around.

• jwriott

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:41 PM

I agree with Dan on this one and the price is WAY too high. Keep looking and you'll find a lot better deal.

I just missed out on a mint 2000 DRZ400 on Ebay here in CO for $1999.

• pb1963

Posted February 15, 2005 - 02:02 PM

How is the 400's low end? Dirt Bike said that an XR400 had more low end unless you did the YZ cam timing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C-ya

Posted February 15, 2005 - 05:54 PM

I just paid $1600 US for my '99 plated WR400 here in MI. A guy got heartbroken by a woman, and lost interest in pretty much everything. Once I saw it was clean, straight and started on the 2nd kick, I beat feet to the bank (right around the corner) and came back with the cash!

Of course, when I got home from work this morning, the rain had stopped, and I decided to take a spin in the back yard. Flooded it right out. :) It was sitting in the cold garage at my house and it was in the basement of the house I picked it up from. I read the cold start drill at http://www.thumperfa...rting_drill.htm, but she still flooded out. Any tips/tricks?

• StockJockey

Posted February 16, 2005 - 02:30 AM

I sold a BRP to downsize to a smaller lighter bike, will a 400 have enough power to haul me around. I'm about 260 with gear on. I'm basically a casual trail rider, maybe a fast C guy.

I weigh in at 110kg's ( dunno what that is in pounds ) and my 99wr takes great pride in "hauling" me around without breaking a sweat.In fact it's me who ends up sweating.

• C-ya

Posted February 16, 2005 - 03:03 AM

For anyone who doesn't already have this: http://edenfieldjd.t...com/convert.zip If that doesn't start downloading, go here: http://edenfieldjd.tripod.com/unit.htm For some reason, the "page" converter is giving me bogus readings. Guess I'll be taking that part down...

Down at the bottom is a full-service conversion program - more units than most of us have ever seen!

Unzip and enjoy!

• jchantzWR400F

Posted February 16, 2005 - 06:29 AM

How is the 400's low end? Dirt Bike said that an XR400 had more low end unless you did the YZ cam timing.

The XR400 is a piece of farm equipment. It does have more low end torque. Side by side, about the time you shift to 2nd gear, the WR will flat walk away. Not to mention, lighter weight a superior suspension and better components.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted February 16, 2005 - 07:38 AM

Yeah I call BS on the xr 400 statement. I rode my wr 400 back to back with an xr 400 and they were the same for the first 1/4 throttle in first then the wr took over and pretty much walked on the xr, especially once the rpm got to about 6,000-8,000

• Cedric

Posted February 16, 2005 - 11:36 AM

I agree, it's a whole different bike, and you will not have any concerns about losing power to an XR400. The XR will be easier to ride in the tight stuff, and the seat is more comfortable, the suspension is softer, which is nice when you're going slow, but once you get going, it's all WR. If you want to ride aggressively, the WR is much better at that sort of thing. I really like mine - but I'd like to try one of the newer 450s now.

As for the starting, I usually do the following:

Cold - Choke full on, no throttle - use the decompressor to get it just past TDC, let the kicker come back up, then kick with all you got.

Hot - Same thing, but with no choke.

Really Cold (Winter) - Same as cold, but I found that a few twists of the throttle primes the cylinder and helps it fire.

I can't wait to get my new tank and seat mounted up, to try out the bike as it was intended to handle.

• TeamScream

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:13 PM

I paid $3500 for a very nice plated 99 WR400. When I was looking $3500 was pretty much the going price in California for a plated bike. Mine has WB e-seires exhaust, baja kit (plated, duh), new tires, IMS baja tank, YZ seat, etc...

I'd say no more than $3500, I thought that was steep at the time, but I'm very happy with it now.

Good luck.

Here's a link to the photo of my bike, 1999 WR 400

Yeah plated dirtbikes in CAli are holding their own in price since you cant plate them anymore....if it's plated and clean thats a decent deal.

• R_Little

Posted February 17, 2005 - 10:21 AM

My 2000 plated WR has been a great bike.
It will out pull any xr400 with you and your whole family on it. No comparison.
If it's truly mint, then maybe it is worth $3,000 max.
If you adjust the valves once in a while and change the oil it is almost as reliable as the XR400.

Remember you will need a YZ tank and seat to make it rideable in my opinion.

• kirkw

Posted February 17, 2005 - 11:29 AM

I am near your weight and ride an 00 400 with no engine mods but exhaust. I have yet to have it full throttle, which was not the case with the CR250 that preceded it. This is a fast bike and I seriously doubt you will feel it is underpowered. The XR isn't even in the same league. As with all statistics, they look fine on paper but real world is often very different. The price is a bi on the high side, so if you can get the seller down a bit to the $3K range and it is as clean as it sounds you will do nothing but smile for a very long time!

• TallBoysWRF

Posted February 17, 2005 - 11:35 AM

Compared to an XR, the XR may have more low end, but that is right off the bottom, and it is all that it has. An XR is a great SLOW SPEED trail bike, but ride faster stuff (more agressive) forget it.

I paid $3000 for my 99 WR in the fall of 2003, and it only had about 20 hrs. on it, and was basically completely stock. I wouldn't pay much more than about $3200 now unless it was half (good) aftermarket parts.

You would probably want to get a heavier shock spring if the stocker is on it. I weigh about 210 or so with gear and I needed to go up to a 5.4kg spring.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.