Aftermarket Aluminum Frame??

8 replies to this topic
  • jbrooks26

Posted February 15, 2005 - 04:33 AM

OK, you guys may kick me for this, but I have a machinist friend who thinks he may want to build an aluminum replacement frame for the Yamaha's to start with. First off, would any of you think this to be a worthwhile venture? Would anyone be interested in one if it were available. Secondly, what would you want in an aluminum frame if you were to seriously consider buying one? Even if you would never consider it, what qualities do you think it should have? Just curious, he wants to try and get a feel for what type of market might be out there before he starts tinkering. Thanks for all of your positive input, and thanks for any No Way In He!! comments too.

Josh

• JohnnyOfast

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Brown Brothers Racing pretty much already does that. They put a YZ426F in a 2001 CR250 frame, and have made many custom frames. I think they are now consentrating on mini bike market.

A big improvement for the YZF would be to get the mass centered lower. Very hard to do considering the tall 5 valve head.

http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Home.htm

Good luck, If there good I'll take 2. :)

• cowboyona426

Posted February 15, 2005 - 11:05 AM

I would like to see this! I think it would be awesome if the frame was identical to stock so that all the stock stuff could be used. Lowering the mass center would be nice, but I have no idea how hard it would be. Maybe figure out a way to carry the oil lower in the frame? I doubt I'd ever be able to afford one, but it would be awesome to see one! How much weight do you estimate it would save?

• thumpinTed

Posted February 18, 2005 - 07:57 AM

If your friend has access to all the equiptment and raw materials needed to make it happen I would be interested in the development and offer my bike to used as a "mule" for testing or as a control reference. As for what I would like to see as a consumer: 1. a lightweight frame that is strong yet flexes where it needs. 2. Anodizing with all the colors for the "bling" factor to choose from. 3. Easy access to perform maintenence

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 18, 2005 - 08:31 AM

I think it would be a fun project.. But considering it would take you a lot of time just to figure it out the 06 or 07 YZF will already be out with the aluminum frame. Your average guy would probably trust the R&D at Yamaha over a smaller outfit such as yours. I think it would be a great project for yourself but don't expect a lot of customers... :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 18, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I agree with Dan. As a business venture I would start with the following ideas for bikes before doing aluminum frames:

Electronic solenoid hydraulic auto clutch master cylinder that is on the clutch perch and has a small electronic board mounted in front of the triple clamps that reads igintion pluses (rpms) and activates the solenoid ( lever) as needed to keep from stalling. This allows you to adjust the minimum rpm on your board and release rate to avoid harsh clutch action. The beauty of this system is that for the cost of about $500. you could easily switch it to your new bike with a new slave cylinder mounting bracket.

If you want to stick to fabrication I would start with small usefull aluminum parts like:

Rad guards, clutch covers, frame guards etc. and if you cant find a competitive edge in that market. Then here are some more ideas:

Try doing a rear aluminum sub frame for tall bikes that lowers the seat 2" without losing suspension travel. Us short guys are out there and the bikes just seem to get taller every over the years.

Serrated clamping surface bark buster handle bar mounts that dont spin and actually fit the contours of fat bars!

Off road home wheel balancer that you spin by hand and an electronic load sensor read out the diferential load. Stick on weights package that would be purchased on a regular basis.

I got more if you need them! :)

• simon@vic

Posted February 18, 2005 - 09:46 AM

it would cost you less to get a AL YZ, sell the motor and wires. then swap your WR motor into it. then sell the WR chassis.

WAY cheaper!!!!!!!

• basicblues

Posted February 18, 2005 - 10:59 AM

it would cost you less to get a AL YZ, sell the motor and wires. then swap your WR motor into it. then sell the WR chassis.

WAY cheaper!!!!!!!

AGREED!!!

• jbrooks26

Posted February 18, 2005 - 03:22 PM

The more I think about it, I do think that it would take a lot more than we might want to get into to make a quality frame. However, the ideas that Indy has are very interesting. My friend owns and operates a professional machine shop, and currently fabricates parts for the local aircraft industry. Resources and materials are not a problem. Keep the ideas coming guys, I know he is interested right now in skid plates and things like that. But I think he may be very interested in the seat drop swing arm. Thanks for all the good input, and keep it coming.

Josh

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.