First Ride Report-01WR426 HotCams

13 replies to this topic
  • Birdie426

Posted February 14, 2005 - 09:00 PM

Hot Cams (both intake and exhaust) arrived the day before I left for temporary duty in the Persian Gulf. Talk about timing. Been back two weeks now...and finally got the right shims to set valve clearances (I can't believe that my local frickin' Yamaha dealer doesn't stock ANY shims, and Yamaha of Troy customer service for internet orders sucks, but that's another story), got the cams installed, and took the sled for a spin. Here are my observations:

1. Bottom end is about the same as stock...certainly didn't lose anything, but no big gains, either.

2. A little bit more of a hit at the midrange. Power is smooth, but not quite as "sewing machine-like" as the stocker. Part throttle response ROCKS!

3. On the big end...Holy S&*^%!!! It really wakes up! Not really an abrupt hit, but RPMs and power build VERY quickly compared to the stock WR set up

4. Auto-decompression is the holy grail!!!! Give it a little twist of the throttle to get some fuel up in there, then 2 kicks it's lit off...when it's cold. When it's warm, don't touch the throttle, one kick, and it's lit...kinda like my RM465... Yea, I know, you all told us so!

5. While HotCams recommends 95 octane, which in Kalifornistan means race gas, I got no pinging on pump premium 92 octane.

6. hhhmmmm...bump start...bitchin'

7. I get a little bit of popping on decel now. I'll hafta move the needle down a clip.

For what it's worth, the rest of the bike set up is Twin Air filter, power now, YZF exhaust with a pro-moto billet end cap/spark arrestor, cut throttle stop, grey wire cut.

Was it worth the $240 bucks (yes, I got a good deal...you can too on e-bay... http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=43977 don't mind giving these guys a plug)...heck yes! Way better grin per dollar ratio than a pipe!

Birdie

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 14, 2005 - 09:59 PM

So you're saying with the hotcam you no longer need to use the compression release lever?

Another question about these 426's. When the bike is hot and you stall you are supposed to pull the 'hot start' button.......is this the red choke-lookin' lever on the carb or do you just call the compression release lever the hot start?

Ive seen pics of the bike only and noticed 2 levers (1 black & 1 red) comming out of the carbs......I assuming one is the choke.....whats the other?

Interesting feedback though....Thanks for sharing! :)

• Gadsen

Posted February 14, 2005 - 10:03 PM

Ive seen pics of the bike only and noticed 2 levers (1 black & 1 red) comming out of the carbs......I assuming one is the choke.....whats the other

Red choke looking lever is the hot start on the 426. I think his new cams is the auto decompression type.

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 14, 2005 - 10:08 PM

I had a hunch.....thanks!

• Birdie426

Posted February 14, 2005 - 10:44 PM

Yup...with the hotcams the decompression lever (the one on the bars) goes away...as long as you get the exhaust cam with the auto-decompresison feature. HotCams still sells a cam without it as well. The black knob onthe carb is the choke. The red knob on the carb is the hot start, which, since I put the power now on, I don't have to use either.

• Gadsen

Posted February 14, 2005 - 10:52 PM

Hot Cams (both intake and exhaust) arrived the day before I left for temporary duty in the Persian Gulf. Talk about timing. Been back two weeks now...

Birdie

Birdie, didnt mention it in my first reply, but we appreciate your service to our country too! :) :) :p

• Birdie426

Posted February 14, 2005 - 11:30 PM

Toyota _Mod_Tech
Thanks, however I'm not in the military. I'm an Aerospace Engineer working for a defense contractor supporting our troops (Lockheed Martin, providing the best tools for the guys at the pointy end of the spear). We had to go provide technical assistance to fix a broke jet.

Not that I want to turn this post into a political debate or discussion but...While I have always respected what our men in uniform do to defend our freedom (and, in my own way feel I am doing my part by providing the tools, and sometimes going to the pointy end to provide support), I have a new found appreciation for what they are giving up and going thru. Their sacrifice is incredible. They are true patriots, one and all, as are their families and loved ones at home.

I have also supported our actions in the Gulf, all the way back to GHW Bush, but after seeing both how the Iraqis receive us (most of them, anyway), and how the Arab countries that do it right do it (Kuwait, United Arab Emirites), I also have a new-found resolve that we belong there, not just in the interest of democracy, but in the interest of human rights everyhere, and in the interest of global stability. I firmly believe that if the people can meet their basic needs and are treated fairly and with resp[ect, there wouldn't be enough discontent to fuel the terrorists and jihadists.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonova

Posted February 15, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Birdie426, what jetting and exhaust are you running with the hot cams set up? The Power Now only helps on the bottom end correct? :)

I have been looking for someone who has done the hot cam mod to see how they work. It sounds like you love them!!

• Frostbite

Posted February 15, 2005 - 10:14 AM

Birdie426, what jetting and exhaust are you running with the hot cams set up?

Good question. I just bored my 400 to 430 so the displacement is close, and installed Hotcams intake and exhaust and have a White Bros pipe. I ride very cold so my jetting is wacked to begin with but I had it bang on before the mods but now I'm not even close with my biggest jets. I figure a 426 with cams would be a good starting point, then I'd just double everything to acount for temperature.
Right now my bike gets hot enough ,idleing at -30 for 5 minutes, to swell the clutch so I can't disengage it to pop in gear. :)

• SXP

Posted February 15, 2005 - 11:54 AM

Right now my bike gets hot enough ,idleing at -30 for 5 minutes, to swell the clutch so I can't disengage it to pop in gear. :)

Did you install the Barnett springs they supplied with the kit? I dumped mine after one ride and went back to stock. With the Barnett springs the clutch was either on or off. The stock springs returned the progressive engagement feel and has been able to handle the extra displacement without problems.

• Frostbite

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:11 PM

Did you install the Barnett springs they supplied with the kit? I dumped mine after one ride and went back to stock. With the Barnett springs the clutch was either on or off. The stock springs returned the progressive engagement feel and has been able to handle the extra displacement without problems.

I installed a White Bros clutch pack and did use the springs supplied with the kit. I had just installed new factory springs before the basket blew so maybe I'll stick them back in, didn't think of that. :)

• Birdie426

Posted February 15, 2005 - 02:35 PM

Stock jetting, whatever that is (I haven't even looked!) but I'm in Cali where the temp is pretty moderate and the altitude pretty constant (40-90 degrees, and 2000-4000 ft pretty well covers my riding environment. Exhaust is a YZF can with the pro-moto billet spark arrestor/end cap.

Yes, the power now is really only noticable down on the low end.

• Frostbite

Posted February 15, 2005 - 06:48 PM

Thanks Birdie, with that I going to assume that the cams alone don't require much of a jetting change, so I'll just concentrate on the extra cubes.

• Birdie426

Posted February 15, 2005 - 08:22 PM

Frostbite -
No prob...remember, it looks like after the cams I'm a little lean at the bottom and mid-range as I get some "popping" out the exhaust when I chop the throttle. This weekend I'm gonna diddle around with the needle (lower the clip one slot) and turn the fuel screw out a bit to see if that helps. If I get more response out of it, that's just gravy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.