Wheely

4 replies to this topic
  • jaffie

Posted August 09, 2001 - 10:47 AM

Hello, i just bought my bike (second hand)wr400, 2000, a few weeks ago. When i try to perform a wheely i seem only to manage that in first and second gear. My sprockets are 14 to 50, should i change these to gain more power at low rpm?
It is still in the original state, so maybe someone can give me some tips to easaly gain power.

• sirhk

Posted August 09, 2001 - 10:57 AM

I'm not sure witht he WR timing but with my YZ I just sit back on the seat and twist the throttle WFO from about 1/4 throttle and tug back on the bars a little and it comes right up even with 15/50 gearing. I can do this in any gear including 5th.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted August 09, 2001 - 11:00 AM

First things first. When setup properly, my WR wheelies in 4th gear w/ just throttle. 13/49 or 14/52 gearing. 1.2, 3 are no brainer wheelies.

You say it's in the orginal state. So that means stock?? remove the airfilter lid, remove the exhaust baffle and cut the thottle stop to a total lenght of 23 mm. Now start the bike and turn the airscrew out a bit. You may need richer jetting, maybe not if you're high elevation.

Now it should wheelie! Changing to YZ timing and the EKP or EKN needle will really makes the bike bark. A used (cheap) YZ pipe is icing on the cake.

So for a cost of about $50-75 for the pipe and about 2 hours of time, you'll see a LARGE difference in power. I doubt yo'll want much more than this, yet I've found it to be still easy to ride and forgiving.

Email me if you have questions!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 09, 2001 - 12:25 PM

Jaffie, The bike wheelies way better in 3rd,4th and 5th gears rather than 1st and 2nd. You dont need power gains to wheelie the thing, its all technique and has nothing to do with HP. Khris is right I too can wheelie in all the gears, in fact 4th gear is probably the best. Also you should try stand up wheelies first as they are easier than sit down wheelies. My 2 cents

[This message has been edited by Dan Lorenze (edited 08-09-2001).]

• Bill

Posted August 09, 2001 - 01:32 PM

Jaffie,

Stock my bike wheelied with ease in the first three gears and with the mods listed in my profile, I have to be careful of how much and how quickly I apply throttle. If I'm not, it's a facefull of crossbar and landing on my a$$ :)

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.