Hard Clutch Pull Questions

10 replies to this topic
  • RCH_VisualMedia

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:41 PM

My 03 450 has just recently started being super hard to pull in the clutch. Here is the facts as of now:

New Clutch Cable
New Oil
Original Clutch Springs
Friction Plates are at the minimum specs for thickness

Any ideas on making it not so hard?

Thanks! :)

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:51 PM

Get softer clutch springs from Pro Circuit.

• mikedabike

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Make sure the cable is not kinked or routed funny. Also is the actuation arm installed correctly to get the proper leverage?

• RCH_VisualMedia

Posted February 14, 2005 - 08:03 PM

The actuator arm hasnt changed, but what position should it be in?
Its still set like stock. Can worn out clutch plates make it stiffer?

• yzf450jack

Posted February 14, 2005 - 08:17 PM

Is your basket all notched up :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted February 14, 2005 - 08:20 PM

It should be at about a 90 degree angle, you can try moving ot forward or back one position to see if it helps. I dont think the worn plates would make it any stiffer but you should check your clutch basket for wear. The plate could be binding up a bit.

• RCH_VisualMedia

Posted February 14, 2005 - 08:23 PM

Is your basket all notched up :)

My basket still looks brand new, no notches.
I checked the pressure plate and it is still good. Does the push rod have any bearings that could make it stiffen up?

• mikedabike

Posted February 14, 2005 - 10:10 PM

You can take off the pressure plate and make sure the push rod mechanism is working smoothly. There isn't much to it. The cable attaches to the push lever which pushes the rod through the otherside of the engine when you pull the clutch lever and pushes the pressure plate out to take pressure off the clutch plates. If you already have it apart it isn't much more to take the push rod and push lever out and inspect for wear or damage.

• alfie

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:50 AM

This may sound stupid but have you lubed your cable :)

• yz426onNOS

Posted February 15, 2005 - 09:40 AM

Sounds like a cable or perch problem. Something must be binding. Did you install the new cable properly? There is a certian way it needs to be routed for it to work propperly.

• palmdaleRider

Posted February 20, 2005 - 05:30 AM

This may sound stupid but have you lubed your cable :)

Also the pivot bolt at the lever needs to be clean. Mine was hard to pull yesterday and cable lube and a cleaned and oiled perch and now it's great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.