swing arm bearings Question

8 replies to this topic
  • mbmak

Posted February 14, 2005 - 06:29 PM

Iam in the middle of re packing shock linkage and I pulled of the swing arm both outer bearings look like they need to be replaced or repacked the two on the inside of the swingarm look good. They look like different bearings then the linkage bearings(needle) ,Can I repack them like the linkage bearings or do I have to replace them. If I have to replace them does Anyone have a good way to get them out. I used a vice and some sockets to press out a linkage bearing that I need to replace. I :) have not tryed to get them out in fear that I might damage something. any help would be great. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 14, 2005 - 06:51 PM

I highly recommend replacing all the bearings once a year and regreasing them 6 times a year between replacements. That being said you can pound out the linkage bearings but the swingarm bearings really need to be pressed out on a hydraulic press. They are pressed in a lot tighter than the linkage bearings and you have a lot longer distance to push them out. I go down to my shop and press the old ones out and press the new ones in on the linkage and swingarm all at once. It takes a few hours but the cost of the pivot works bearings is pretty cheap. :) I dont understand how guys pound them out of the swingarm without a press! :)

• SteadyEddy

Posted February 15, 2005 - 03:07 AM

I'm just in the middle of doing mine and found that the bearing in the rear shock is rusted out a bit so I'm going to replace it, I came on here to check out how to get them out.
Do you think I could use a clamp and a socket to press them out and then reversal for installation?
Cheers

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 15, 2005 - 04:41 AM

Yeah you can do all the bearings that way but the swingarm pivot will be extremely difficult without a press. You could also damage the arm due the the sledge hammer pounding you will need to get it out (vise is not practical for the swing arm pivot). Go down to your dealer and let them press out these bearings and press in the new ones and you can do the rest with the socket hammer/vise method. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sylvain

Posted February 15, 2005 - 05:47 AM

You can heat up the swingarm where the bearings take place. Not with a blow torch (it's aluminium), but a heat gun will do the trick. But the best thing to do is to use a press like Indy_WR450 said :)

• xcracer123

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:02 PM

Don't mean to sound like an a$$ but when do you have time to ride? :) Six times a year?!? I mean, I rode my bike 1/2 a season before pulling them apart the first time and they were fine. Just cleaned them and added new grease. I'll pull them apart again after racing in FL in March but I'm sure I won't touch them again until fall. I know there's no such thing as too much maintenance, but six times a year seems excessive. I change my oil after every other ride or every race and my friends tell me I'm overzealous.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:57 PM

Don't mean to sound like an a$$ but when do you have time to ride? :p Six times a year?!? I mean, I rode my bike 1/2 a season before pulling them apart the first time and they were fine.

;) :D :D :o :) :)

I ride about 100 days out of 364 per year. I probably have the equivelant of 30 days in upkeep over the year as well. I average about 60 miles per ride and about 6,000. miles per year. My 2003 WR450 has over 11,000 miles on it. I just finished completely rebuilding the engine to last another 12,000. miles. :D
You are right I could probably squeeze in an extra day of riding if I cut back to 29 days of service on the bike. Great point! :D Thanks for the advice! :D

• SteadyEddy

Posted February 15, 2005 - 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=Indy_WR450
My 2003 WR450 has over 11,000 miles on it. I just finished completely rebuilding the engine to last another 12,000. miles. :p
[/QUOTE]

Holy smoke.....
11,000 miles, thats close too 18,000km's
:D :) :) :D

• tammie

Posted February 16, 2005 - 05:14 AM

I also just did my linkage bearings, had to take them to shop to be pressed out, they did it for free..........simple job, the also pressed in new ones.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.