Electric Start for 2005 YZ450?

7 replies to this topic
  • freebird

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:00 PM

I have a friend that is 13 and hates the WR450 but cannot start the YZ450 can this be modified in any way. Please help
thank you

• Satch0922

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:33 PM

if you can't start it you shouldn't ride it.....old but true statement.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:57 PM

if you can't start it you shouldn't ride it.

He couldn't be any more correct.

I'm pretty sure you can get the WR electric starter and install it on the YZ450F. But if your friend is 13 I hope he's really HUGE to be riding a 450. Doesn't sound like it though.

• yzf450jack

Posted February 14, 2005 - 08:22 PM

It's close to $1000.00 to E start a YZ it's not worth it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2005 - 08:37 PM

In order to install the WR e-starter, you would need to buy all of the starter and starter drive components, the complete WR generator and flywheel, the WR ignition cover, through which the starter drives, and the WR crankcases, which have a machined socket to support the WR starter idler gear shaft not found in the YZ450. Not to mention the battery and wiring. Probably no more than $1000, give or take. But it is a "bolt-on" :)

My son is almost 15, and at 6'1"/160 is certainly physically ready for a YZ450, but I often wonder if he's intellectually and emotionally ready for it. The big bike is capable of taking you places you don't want to go very quickly with just a little bit of poor judgment.

• ThrakenH04

Posted February 14, 2005 - 09:21 PM

In order to install the WR e-starter, you would need to buy all of the starter and starter drive components, the complete WR generator and flywheel, the WR ignition cover, through which the starter drives, and the WR crankcases, which have a machined socket to support the WR starter idler gear shaft not found in the YZ450. Not to mention the battery and wiring. Probably no more than $1000, give or take. But it is a "bolt-on" :)

My son is almost 15, and at 6'1"/160 is certainly physically ready for a YZ450, but I often wonder if he's intellectually and emotionally ready for it. The big bike is capable of taking you places you don't want to go very quickly with just a little bit of poor judgment.

Well I'm 16, and at 5'9/178. I dont really consider it to be a hard bike to ride but at the end of the day on the bike, im completly beat.

• yz400fl1

Posted February 15, 2005 - 09:15 AM

Get a KTM 450EXC or MXC :) . Thats what I did. Oooo, I'm gunna catch heat from this one :)

• yz426onNOS

Posted February 15, 2005 - 09:42 AM

C'mon back when I had my 426 (according to some they are super hard to start :) ) And me and my buddys were 14ish. My friend Mike who was 6 foot and weighed 120 lbs could start it no problem. That was with 13.5.1 compression to and no auto decompresser. :)

So tell your wimp of a friend to nut up and kick that mother. :p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.